Chapter 29- Christmas

Ava stood outside the staff entrance to the building, steam forming in front of her mouth as she exhaled. The metal door opened at the side, a familiar face stepping out.
Connor smiled to her and they walked down the few steps.

His hand found her thigh once they were in the car. Ava's head lulled to the side, her hand covering his she relaxed into the heated seat. He drove them to her apartment, taking her bag they walked into her building.

Ava fell back onto her bed, Connor joining her a second later.
"I can't believe the years almost over" she said, Turing on her side and cuddling into him.
Connor wrapped his arms around her shoulder.
He hummed and agreement, not caring how fast time went by so long as she stayed in his arms.

Ava leaned over and kissed his lips before slinking off the bed.
She knelt on the bed before him. "Happy 23rd of December"
"I got you a few things" She handed him a box.
Beard oil, boxers, personalised keychain, slippers and a bedside charger for his phone.
"Thank you Ava" he kissed her.
"Your presents in the closet" he pointed.
Ava furrowed her brown, opening the sliding door. "The box right at the top"
Ava stretched up, pulling the box down.
She opened the lid looking at the down UGG Tasmans.
"Oh I love them! there so soft!" Ava exhlaximed.
"Keep you warm"
"How did you?" Ava questioned.
"Don't worry about it" he shook his head.
Ava leaned over to kiss him, "I love you"
Connor fondled the leather key chain.
"Do you like it?" Ava asked.

Drive safe, I love you - A

"It's your handwriting" he said, "I love it"
Flipping it over he found a asymmetrical love heart on the other side.

"What will you wear tonight?" He asked, his hands on her waist.
"I don't know, might have to reconsider with my new shoes"
"Mhm" Connor wrapped his arms around her. "It's nice to see you outside of the office"
"I do enjoy our train rides" she smiled, the times when they could get a carriage to themselves were the best. One of the few times they were ever alone in public together.
"You'll have to miss me tonight, I said I'd sit with Ini" she wrapped her arms around his neck.
"You'll just have to savour our time together"

Ava walked him to the door when it was time to go, kissing him goodbye. Connor returned to his hotel room to get ready for that evenings dinner, changing into a nice shirt and trousers.
He picked up his gift for the work Secret Santa , he'd gotten one of the ED doctors, finding a nice candle for her. He was late leaving, missing the train he'd needed Connor drove, parking nearby to Mr. Harris.

He made his way up the gravel driveway, looking ahead for a familiar pair.
"Connor!" Came a shout from behind.
A smiling Ava greeted him, Ini on her arm, holding both of their gift bags. She wore her Uggs with a skirt Connor knew to be a dress and a jumper over it.
She held out her free arm as they approached, Connor taking it without a word there three walked arm in arm to the house.
"I didn't see you on the train?"
"Missed it, I drove"
"Too busy looking at yourself in the mirror?" Ini said.
"Wanted to look my best, just for you Ini"

They separated at the door, walking through the hall to the dining area. They set their gifts under the tree in the dinner room and took their seats.
"Welcome, everyone" Mr. Harris sat, his walking stick decorated with tinsel.
"Happy Holidays and Hanukkah" he raised a glass.
"I've decided that we won't meet for New Years, I know some of you have plans to travel to be with your family. So we'll see each other next year" he smiled.

They passed around their gift bags to their secret Santa's.
Ava picked up her gift bag.
"Ini, that's just cruel" she held up the Nigerian Ruby jersey she had been given.
"I just think green is a better color on you" she shrugged.
"Lies"
"You brought a springbuck jersey into my house"
"I was sleeping in it, that's different"

Owen went next having received a new pair of scrubs and gift card from one of the other doctors. Connor's bag was carefully wrapped, tissue paper topped perfectly.
He pulled back the paper holding up a pair of Dolans and Rhodes socks, "lovely"
The room was in bursts of laughter.

They finished their dinner, most of them staying for drinks afterwards as well.
Connor and Ava left together, Ini and Owen having left before them to get the earlier train.
They'd walked slower then the others, purposely trying to miss the last train back to the city they snuck into a familiar Porsche parked not too far away.

Connor walked her into her apartment building.
"Are you excited for Christmas?" She asked.
"Oh well I'm very happy with my Dolens and Rhodes socks"
"Mhm" Ava leaned into him.
"Wait, did you?"
"I thought it was funny" she flashed him a cheeky smile.

They entered Ava's building, stopping in the lobby away from prying eyes.
"Stay?"
"You know I can't" he kissed her cheek, a parting goodbye.
Ava caught his cheek and kissed his lips. "I'll see you tomorrow"
"Tomorrow" he promised.
Ava watched him go before getting the lift up. Little did she know she wasn't the only one who watched him go, or the only one who saw their goodbye kiss.