Chapter 26- Dress

They were leaving for Omaha that morning, a five hour driver across Iowa. Ava made her way out of her apartment, Connor on the phone as they spoke privately for possibly the last time that day. "Anything I should know about Iowa, as a first timer?" She closed the trunk of her car. "Cornfields, architecture and contemporary art collections"
"Nice" she sat in the drivers set. "Maybe I'll see you out there"
"Where, the interstate 35"
"Is that the road I'm taking?"
"Oh Ava please don't get lost" he put his hand in his head.
"I said I'd drive you"
"And I said that would be weird for two friends"
"Ini said Owen would take you"
"Yeah, I love them. But not five hours trapped in a car kind of love"
"Okey, drive safe. Avey. I'll see you in five hours"
"See you in five hours" she set up her google maps.

They were being put up in hotels for the long weekend, paid for by Mr. Harris. There was a gala tonight to welcome them, and meet some new donors. Doctors from John Hopkins and all the other big hospitals in the states were going to be there. Iowa seemed like a middle ground for them all to meet.

Ava had hoped to seen Bob and Brooklyn but they were tied up in work commitments. She stoped half way at a gas station for a coffee and muffin, Ava stood outside her car, sipping her drink she watched the cars pass her by, keeping an eye out for a familiar one.

Ava stopped in the hotel car park, eager to stretch her legs. She got her room key and set her suitcase and dust bag into the wardrobe.

Ava 13.04pm
You here yet?

Connor 13.05pm
Just pulled in, getting my room key

Ava 13.05pm
Want to go for a walk, stretch our legs

Connor 13.05pm
Meet you in the lobby in five x

Ava got changed and restyled her hair, getting her purse she headed for the ground floor. Most of the rooms yet to be checked into.
Ava met him in the lobby, they walked around the neighbourhood to stretching their legs before getting a coffee.
"I have to say, I'm not seeing many cornfields" Ava sipped her drink, looking around.
"We'll have to get you out to the country then"
"No thanks" she chuckled.
"City slicker" he teased,
"Please like you'd survive on a farm"
"You got your dress for tonight?" Connor asked, changing the subject.
"Yes"
"Can I have a clue?"
"It's new" she smiled.
Connor put his hand on her thigh discreetly under the table.
They made their way back to the hotel, the car park noticeably fuller.
"I'll see you in a few hours, Dr. Rhodes"

Connor got ready in his room, wearing a dark navy suit. He fantasied about what Ava might wear while he buttoned his cufflinks, knowing her general colour scheme.
He and Owen drove to the event together, it being hosted at a donors house.
It was a large Georgian style house that sat in several acres, with tennis courts and a long stone driveway similar to Mr. Harris.

There were cars coming and going as people got dropped off, music flowing from the house as the warmer days disappeared.
The main hall was packed with people from all over the country, come to work together. Owen spotted Ini, who had arrived early to meet with some friends from Nigeria.

"No Ava yet?" She questioned, "i thought she'd come in the car with you"
"No, I haven't seen her" Connor said.
Owen took a sip of his drink, "fashionably late?"

They spoke for a while, waiting for the event to start, stood in their own little huddle. Connor was the first to spot her, he always would be. Her dress was tight and form fitting, accentuated her waist, with a slit that nearly went up to her hip. The dark green fabric pleated around her thighs, drawing attention to her hips. With gem embezzled on the straps and waist, with fabric off the shoulder straps.
She spotted them, smiling wildly.
"You look stunning" Ini said.
"I know" she hugged her. "You look beautiful"  she kissed her cheek.