Chapter 35- Andrew

The machines bleeped around them as they worked in their first surgery of the day. A joint one. Allowing the pair to work together.
"What are you going to wear tonight?"
"Probably the green dress that I wore in Omaha" Ava said, working meticulously. They had yet another gala tonight for the hospital.
"Why, you want to match your tie?"
"Maybe I do" he raised his brow, looking to her over her mask.

They finished up their surgery and slipped out for a coffee. Ava managed to pay, taking his hand as they walked around town.
"Andrew is going to be there tonight" she said.
"Oh"
"I just wanted you to know"
"Are you okey with that? After everything"
She thought about it for a moment, "I guess. I don't want to talk to him though"
"Do you think he'll try talk to you"
"I don't know" she pursed her lips.
"I'll keep you close" he wrapped an arm around her waist.

*

As they end of their shift came people began to make their way back to the hotel to change. People who had found residence further afield changed in the hospital. Sharing a cab to the event.

With Ava held up in a surgery Connor went home, leaving the car for her. He changed into his suit, leaving a note for her on the fridge. He took the other car to the venue, meeting with Owen and Ini.
"No Ava?" She asked.
"She got held up in surgery, she should be here a bit later"
The event space began to fill up, people arriving and donors with their guests.
Connor spotted Andrew once he arrived, noting how he looked around the crowds.

He checked his phone once more to see if there were any further messages from Ava.
Nothing. He checked her location. She'd been back to the house and all. She should be here soon. He put his phone away, freezing as he saw her.
She wore a black version of the dress Connor had seen Ava in when they reunited. She looked just as stunning as she had that night in New York.
"That isn't the dress you were going to wear" he said quietly as she came to his side.
"I know" she breathed quickly.
"Hey, hey, hey" he hushed. "Look at me, your fine"
"Don't leave my side tonight?"
"Of course" his hands were on her waist.
"Now, I however, have no one to match to Avery"
"I think you'll live"

Ava relaxed into his arms as they danced together. Seeing him calming her.
"You want to get a drink?" He said, rubbing her back.
She looked over his shoulder, "not right now"
Connor spun them, seeing Andrew at the bar watching them.
"Do you want me to get you a drink while you wait with Ini?"
"No, I'm fine really, just stay here?"
"Of course" he brushed some hair from her face.
She smiled softly, "we should probably break up soon enough. We are colleagues after all"
"Mhm, well you are my favourite colleague" he whispered.
Ava ran her arm down his hand. "He's going to the bathroom, we'll split up for a bit"
She slipped from his arms before he could saw another word.
Slinking away to the bar.

Connor made his way to Owen, who handed him a drink.
"Your holding onto Ava pretty tightly"
He shook his head, "her ex is here. He didn't take it well when they split"
"Oh Andrew, I've heard"
"Or seen rather"
"What do you mean?"
"The articles, he's been giving statements saying she was cheating on him, disloyal. That's why they didn't get married. That he broke it off"
"Just before this he said she wanted to be his bride but he couldn't marry her"
Ini appeared at his side, "small dick energy"
"Always a way with words" Connor said.
"You'll have to ask Ava about that one" Owen chuckled into his glass.
"Ask Ava about what?" She appeared at Connor's side.
"Nothing" he shook his head, "let's go for a walk"

He lead her out to the balcony.
"This isn't much of a walk" she leaned into him.
"Maybe I just wanted to be alone with you" he kissed her, his jacket over her shoulders.
"Mhm" she hummed, Connor pulling away.
He brushed a hand through her hair.
"Why didn't you tell me about Andrew"
Her face soured, "there's nothing to tell, he's just being a dickhead"
"Hey" he caught her chin, turning her gaze to his.
She exhaled shortly, "I didn't want you trying to fix this, like you wanted to fix Russel"
"Just ignore him" she wrapped her arms around him, her head on his chest.