Prologue- IX

"Hello?" Ava picked up the phone buzzing in her pocket.
"Hey" Connor said, happy to hear from her.
"How are you?"
"Good" Ava breathed, her teeth chattering. "Things at the hospital are going well"
"I'm glad to hear. Natalie sends her regards, she has a growing vendetta against the city of new York for taking you" he told her, remembering Natalies drunk ramblings from the Christmas party he had just returned from.

"I'll have to find time to come back to you all" she said, looking up at the sky.
Connor sighed into the line, "I'm sorry I couldn't make it for the holidays, they needed me at the hospital" he apologised.
"It's fine Connor. I get it" she assured him, having received the news days prior in a quick text.
"I had the plan ticket booked and everything" he smiled bitterly.

They were quite in the line until Ava let out a shaky breath.
"Where are you?" He asked.
"Eh, the side of a road" she said casually.
"What! Ava what are you doing?"
"The stupid rental car" she kicked the tire, "broke down coming back from a Work Christmas party"
"And triple A won't be here for" she checked her timer, "75 minutes"
"Jesus Ava you'll freeze" he worried.
"I'll be fine. Talking is helping anyway"
"Was it a good party at least?" He asked, checking her location on his phone.
"Yeah, it's was nice. Still don't get the whole, bring a tree into the house. But each to their own"
"Did you get your Christmas present?" She asked wanting to get away from work.
"From?"
"Check the cupboard above the fridge, where you keep the dinner party plates" she said, knowing that's would be a cupboard never opened.
"Okey" Connor said cautiously after sending a text. Connor moved into the kitchen, opening the cupboard he looked inside spotting a white envelope slipped in.
Ava waited silently for his reaction.
"You got me tickets to the Blackhawks Boxing Day game!" He said excitingly.
"How did you even, when? They sold out in like seconds"
"I have my ways" Ava said, leaning against the side of the car.
'I'll be hard to find a way to top this for your present" he told her.
"It's not a competition"
"Mhm" Connor hummed, knowing it always was with them.

"Definitely the highlight of my evening. That and Lankin getting very drunk"
"Lankin? How drunk are we talking"
"Doing the robot on the bar"
Ava cringed but laughed at the idea.
"Ohh to have witnessed that" she smiled, her face dropping as a black car slowed across the road from her.

"Connor-" she drew a shirt breath.
"Don't panic, that's Hugo. He works for my family as a driver for the New York branch"
"The plate number is NYP 6920. He'll take you where you need to go"
Ava glanced to the matching reg.
"You didn't have to" she breathed, looking at the opportunity to get out.
"What, and have my surgical competition freeze to death? No thanks. And I want the name that rental company you used"
"Why" Ava said suspiciously.
"Make sure we don't do business with them" he said, being sure to get Ava a full refund.
"Okey, I'll send it on to you"
"Get home safe, Aves"
"Goodnight Connor, and Happy Holidays"
"Merry Christmas Avey"

Ava hung up the line, checking her phone.

1 New message.

23.14pm
Do you still need me to come get you?
I'm only seeing this now.

You 23.14pm
No the car started up again, thanks x

Ava closed her phone and slipped into the warmth of the back seat. The car setting off at a steady pace.