Chaoter 45- I ❤️ NYC

"The new plans for the hospital sound good- the school for the inpatient kids" Ava said, "they have that at New Amsterdam"
"Yeah it sounds great" Connor agreed, both having come from a board meeting about hospital development.

"Are you ready to go to Minneapolis?" She said as he let them into their apartment.
"Yes, try not to be too lonely without me"
"Oh what will I do without you. With a double bed all to myself" she teased, with Connor going away in a few weeks to meets with Claire and his families lawyers.
"I'll get dinner started"
"You don't want to join me?" She said.
"What you miss me already?" He teased.
Ava shook her head as she left.

Connor started on the dinner, heating up the pan and started chopping his veg.
Ava let out a screamed from the next room over.
Connor dropped his knife to the chopping board, rushing to her.
She was one the phone, her mouth wide.
"Avey What's wrong, what's wrong?" his hands were on her waist.
"Nothing, nothing" she out a hand on his arm. "Brooklyns engaged!" She kissed his cheek.

*

They landed in JFK a week later for the engagement party, checking into their hotel room in the early morning. After a quick nap the pair went out for an early dinner, walking the warm streets of New York. Ava wore an open back dress, taking in the sun and warmth.

They made their way back to the hotel, not before Connor stopped in at a corner shop to get a few essentials.
"I picked up something for you at the store" he held out the Forbes magazine once they were back in the hotel. "You shouldn't have" she took it, he wrapped his arms around him as she turned back to the bed. Connor bent her over the mattress, leaning over her.
"Read" Connor kissed her shoulder, guiding her hand to the lines.
"Dr. Ava Bekker, a South African born cardiothoracic surgeon is the youngest in this years Forbes 40 under 40. At just 33 Dr. Bekker is the head of the Mayo Clinic Cardiothoric team, and has some of the highest success rates in the United States.

She is most known for her work on Hybrid OR projects. Founded less then five years ago, the project which she helped develop has grew significantly from its start in Gaffeny Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois.

Speaking on Dr. Bekker's acknowledgement in the Forbes list, Ms. Bekker said that it came as an absolute shock, "I am honoured to receive that sort of recognition, but my work life goes on- there's still plenty of for us (her surgical team) to do."

"Connor" Ava breathed heavily.
"Keep reading" his kisses moved lower down her spine.
"Dr. Bekker" her voice wavered, "is an inspiration to all young girls and women"
Connors lips left her skin, moving her hair to the side. "My Girl"
He kissed her neck, standing straight.
"You want to have a shower?" He suggested.
"Bath?"

*

They took breakfast the following morning on the balcony, overlooking the city Ava had her knees curled to her chest.
She got ready to go it with Brooklyn for lunch as a sort of pre-engagement party thing. Ava got ready at the hotel dresser, putting her earrings in. Connor's arms wrapped around Ava as she slid the card under her fingers.
"Connor" she pushed it away, seeing the platinum coloured card.
"Buy something nice for yourself?" He kissed her neck.

Ava rolled her eyes, putting the card into her purse. She finished getting ready, climbing into the bed to say goodbye to Connor.
"Mhm" he hummed against her lips, "my Princess"
He rubbed his hands down her sides, "you look beautiful"
She pulled herself closer to him, wrapping her arms around him, "my cowboy"
She leaned back, Connor keeping her in place with his hands, "I'll see you later"

Brooklyn picked her up from outside the hotel, throwing their arms around each other.
"Oh I missed you so much!"
"Why did you have to move to the Midwest!"
Ava chuckled and they separated.
"I missed you too"

They went for lunch at ones of their favourite spots. They got seated with their drinks.
"Connor's leaving for Minneapolis soon, he'll be gone a few days. Something about his family business" Ava shook his head.
"He leave you that as a farewell" she nodded to the plastic in her purse.
Ava rolled her eyes, "he does that sometimes, I never really get anything" she closed her purse and put it in her bag.
"I can think of a few things you both might like?"
Ava shook her head, taking a sip of her ice coffee.

They shopped around New York until late afternoon. Ava making her way back to her hotel.
"Should I be worried?" Connor ran a hand through his hair as he saw her come in.
Ava set her bags down by her draws.
"No" she sat on his lap, his hands finding her waist.
She kissed him, touching his face and neck.
"We need to get going" he said.
"Mhm" Ava hummed, kissing him further.
"You hate being late" he breathed.
Ava leaned back, "that's true"
Connor took her hands in his, kissing her knuckles.

Ava wore a short satin dress in a shade of oxidised copper, with a crown, holding her flame while Connor sported brown cargo shorts and an I ❤️ NYC shirt. From Ava's talk of Nat and Wills Halloween party Brooklyn's had take on the idea of a costume engagement party. They took a taxi across town to Brooklyn's apartment.
"Omg you two are adorable!" Brookie threw her arms around them.
Brooklyn was wearing a short white halter neck dress, her hair tied up.
She closed the door to her apartment after them, Connor and Ava getting introduced and reuniting more doctors from New York.

They got a glass of champagne each and Ava ran into Bob dressed as a groom.
"Congratulations!" She hugged him, "I can't wait to see the wedding!"
"Yes, August 31st" he smiled.
"You have a date already?"
"We weren't going to tell people that yet" Brooklyn laughed, coming to his side.
"It's our anniversary, of the first time we met"
"That's very soon, no?"
"It'll be something simple, in the Catskills"
"Oh I can't wait!"

The pair went to great more guests and Ava found Connor's side once more.
"Bit of a wallflower, no?" She found her way into his arms.
"Only when you're not here" he kissed her.
"They have the wedding date" she smiled.
"Oh yeah?"
"Your birthday, August 31st"
"Oh double prizes! Birthday and a wedding"
"Who said I was bringing you to the wedding?" She teased, kissing him.

There was a clinking of glasses and the room grew quiet.
"Before I have anymore champagne I thought it best to thank you all for coming" Brooklyn said.
"And a special thank you to my best friend, Ava. Who flew in from Minnesota. Who is most definitely hiding in the corner with her boyfriend somewhere" Brooklyn's eyes fell to them.
"I love you Bekkie" she blew a kiss, Ava blew one back, hiding her face in Connors chest.