Chapter 49- Anyone But You

Connor had tossed and turned all night, grateful Ava was a heavy sleeper and didn't wake. It was before they needed to be up but he couldn't sleep. He sat on the edge of the bed, his shoulders slumped froward. He touched his collar bone, and took a few deep breaths. The bed shifted behind him, arms came around him. Ava kneeled on the bed behind his back.
"What's up" she nestled her head on the bended of his neck.
She kissed his shoulder blade. "You've been off for weeks"
He shook his head, "just hold me"
"Just for a bit"
Ava brushed a hand through her hair, pressing her lips to his neck.
He held the hand over his stomach, "Ava"
Their alarm blared and she fell back from him, turning it off.
"We should get ready" she touched his arm, walking into the bathroom.
Connor fell back against the bed.

After some convincing from Ava he got up and got ready, finding her at the kitchen stove.
She turned, feeling his gaze.
"Hey, breakfast is ready" she said, doing up his plate.
She moved to pass him, going back to their room. He caught her arm, pushing her back against the wall he locked lips with her passionately.
"Connor" she caught her breath, "someone really likes my cooking"
He chuckled, "I do" he kissed her cheek.

"Is everything okey, truly" she touched his hand.
He nodded swiftly. "Of course"
What she didn't know wouldn't  hurt her.
Connor drove them to work, managing to suppress his anxiety.
They had an early morning of surgery together, nothing too complex, Conor working as Ava's second. It was an unexplainable level of understanding and closeness for the two, there were completely in sync.

Afterwards they got lunch with Ini and Owen, discussing Ini's birthday and a holiday her and Victor had planned back to Nigeria to see her family. Connor had his hand on her knee, he kept his gaze to her mostly, a smile on his lips.
They put their trays away and split up with Ini and Owen.
"Can I steal you for a coffee?" He asked, leaning into her.
"I shouldn't, I have some reports to do"
"We wouldn't be gone that long"
She shook her head, "your such a bad influence"

Connor stole her away to a nearby park to have their Connor, his hand in hers as they sat on a bench. "What has you in such a lovey mood?"
"My love for you" he kissed her cheek.
She smiled into her lap, leaning into him. "It's nice to see"
"I was worried about you for a while" she put a hand on his thigh.
"You weren't right after you came back from Minneapolis"
His lips came to the back of her head, her head on his shoulder.
"I was just home sick" he assured her.
She turned into him, her forehead in his neck.
"I did miss you something terrible"
"Even though I would not admit to that"
"I did too" he said.
"I love you Avery" he kissed her.

They made their way back to the hospital and split up for their separate offices. Connor realises he actually had more work to do than expected. Ava did hers and headed of early, getting the train home while he stayed to finish his reports.
He scribbled away on his note pad, cleaning up a few patient notes before he typed them up.
Something pinged on his desktop. He ignored it in the dim light, and kept writing, before it pinged again, and again. A new online article that was picking up. But that wasn't what caught his eye. There was a  picture was of Robyn and Sarah May. The one next to it was of Connor.

Rhodes secret love baby?
Robyn Charles, Rhodes ex see with young daughter who looks vaguely familiar....
Read all about it on page 9.

He felt sick. He was sick, in the bathrooms on the office floor. Connor rinsed his mouth, washing his face in the sink.
He needed to go home, he needed to see Ava.

Connor packed up his things, leaving the office quickly. He drove home, anxiously watching the clock as it went by. He fell through the door, letting himself in.
"Hey" Ava smiled widely as he came in. Like always.
He greeted her and took off his jacket, maybe she hadn't heard. Maybe there was still time. Connor walked towards her, stopping dead in his tracks. On their kitchen counter was a tabloid with a picture of Robyn and her child.

"You should talk to Robyn" Ava said, coming up behind him.
"What?" He snapped his head around.
"About the rumours? I'm sure she's a blindsided as you" she chuckled.
Connor looked to her, a shell of himself. He held her gaze and her face fell as she saw him, "no."
She stepped back, "no, no, Connor"
"Not this. Not you, please not you"
"Ava" Connor followed her around the island.

"How long" her fingers shook.
"How long have you known" she repeated.
"Four weeks" he muttered.
"Four- four weeks. A month"
"A month" she turned to the side, a hand over her mouth like she was going to be sick.
"Oh my god, we've slept together since then!" She spat.
"You knew this and you" she didn't finished her sentence.
"I wanted to tell you" he reasoned with her.
She laughed, "you wanted to tell me, what you were too busy fucking me, kissing me Goodnight, telling me you loved me, sleeping in our bed. To do that?"
"You lied to me for weeks!"
"I didn't lie Ava, I just didn't tell you"
She froze, her face souring
"I didn't lie Connor! I- I just didn't tell you" she pled.
"That is a lie Ava!"

"Ava I didn't mean it like that"
She moved to walk away before Connor caught her shoulders, making her turn to face him.
"Ava, please" his hands touched her cheeks, "I'm sorry, I didn't know I promise"
Ava's hand shakily found the back of his shoulder. Holding onto him as he pled. She clung onto him as he did her, reeling with this new confession.
"Did you sleep with her?" She looked him in the eye.
"What, no. No not since we got together, since before you were in hospital"
Ava pressed her eyes closed, tears burning behind them
"Avey" he touched her cheek.
Ava pursed her lips, raising her hand between them she took a breath.
"I refuse to the be the other other women in yet another Rhodes scandal"
"I refuse it, Connor"

"Ava", her hand tremmored between them and he moved to take it in his hands. She pushed off of him and stormed into their bedroom.
"Ava What are you doing" Connor followed in after her.
"I'm leaving" she threw some underwear into a gym bag, haistly grabbing stuff.
"No- Ava!" he panicked. "Don't do that"
"I'll leave" he told her, pulling his arms back, "stay here, and I'll leave"
Ava looked up as she saw him, leave, following behind him bewildered.
"Connor"; He opened the front door, quickly looking back at her before leaving.

Ava started at the door, she wasn't sure how long before her face crumbled tears running down her cheeks as she collapsed onto the floor, holding her chest. Ava cried until she couldn't anymore, until her limbs felt numb. She turned her forehead to the ground, pushing up she stood. Making her way to the bedroom she picked up her bag once more. Dark had fallen over Rochester but she didn't move to turn on the light. She packed few things, what she knew she'd need a few changes of clothes. Closing the door of the closet with a slam an few spare bags fell from the top shelf along with a package.

Ava drove to Rochester international airport, pulling her jacket tighter around her she hurried inside, making it to the front desk.
"Hi, when's the next flight leaving Rochester?" She asked politely.
The women typed on the keyboard. "Chicago. Three hours. There's a few seats left"
Ava took out her purse, "we can't except credit card payments at this desk, unfortunately ma'am"
Ava felt her hope drop to the bottom of her stomach before her eye caught something shining in her purse. "What about air miles?"

A/n: this will be the last update for a little while as I'm going to be away for a bit. Sorry to leave you on such a cliffhanger 🤥
Trust I will be back before you know it, those who had been following me for a while know I always deliver 🫡