Arc 2: Kingdom Goddess - Chapter 42

Deep in the Teforh Forest not far from the base of the mountain there was a certain village living life as normal this fine evening. The fall wind brought with it a chill and took the leaves to spin around the air before littering the ground like a carpet. Now the bare branches had begun to become quite visible, though the fir trees kept their needles and remained quite green. They alone stood as proof of the forest's usual lush vegetation. In the air was the smell of damp earth and rotting plants as the fall took hold of the mountains.

Fluttering through these trees was a small shape that seemed to be swept to and fro on the wind like a winding leaf. On closer inspection however it revealed itself to be a person, or perhaps human-like creature would be more apt. It was in fact a fairy: a diminutive member of the fey that were known for their mischievous natures and pretty wings. Such a creature hadn't been seen by human eyes in a very long time, though it was clear by now that the world was changing.

This particular fairy went by the name Salferia and she was quite petite at only around four inches in height. Her pretty wings are colored in purple, red, and blue. Draped behind her back was long dark purple hair tied into two pigtails. Her skin was pale and her sparkling eyes were a vibrant emerald. Though lacking in stature it was well made up with by her vibrant personality, which was the reason she was here in the human world.

She was a chronicler for her fairy clan which meant being more adventurous than your average fairy. All that mattered to her was finding and collecting fun and fascinating new stories to share with her friends. It was an obsession, a reason to exist, and what drove her in life. To this end her typical outfit was one of an explorer. She had a fancy brown hat, a nice cloak, nice boots, and a skirt pant combo all in various browns and reds. Around her waist was a thick belt that had all manner of pockets and pouches. There was even a nice grass journal that she used in conjunction with her magical pen to write things down with.

What manner of story could have brought a fairy out of their secret hiding place? The human world had been so boring for so very long. Salferia was only two-hundred and eighty-two years old but she knew just as much as anyone that nothing interesting happened with humans as of late. Not since the great cataclysm when the goddesses all vanished.

Well that's what brought her here actually: a goddess had appeared in the world again! While certainly not a being someone like a fairy wanted to meet personally the human worshipers of the goddess were fine targets for research. That's what this forest-bound village called Doovlin was filled with according to reports. So here she was to find out what fun things they got up to!

Salferia fluttered through the branches of another towering pine tree and gasped when the village came into view. Already it looked like nothing she ever knew with all manner of strange round things reaching out between the buildings. Then she noticed in the middle of the village there was water coming out of one of these long things. The humans had made tiny streams in the air! Coming here was definitely a good idea.

She felt the excitement welling up inside her chest as she flew down closer to ground level, quickly ducking into a nearby bush. There was no sign of the goddess around and none of these humans seemed particularly full of magic meaning there were no mages here either. Just regular helpless humans as far as the eye could see.

She put her hand to her chin to think. Revealing herself wasn't particularly dangerous as she had all manner of magical ways to defend herself from normal humans. However they were still likely to either be afraid of her or hateful towards her. Perhaps she'd view from a distance first and then reveal herself later. Yeah that seemed good.

Which her plan set Salferia flew through the air over the village and headed for the biggest building, the one that had delicious smelling smoke coming from its chimney. These were called inns according to her memory and were places lots of humans gathered to talk to each other. Perfect for information gathering.