Arc 2: Kingdom Goddess - Chapter 50

With the conflict sorted out for the time at hand the werewolves became much less threatening. Instead of acting like hungry wolves they were more like big fluffy dogs. If their story of fleeing some vampire monster was true, and I had no reason to believe it wasn't, then they were really just desperate people driven to do desperate things. Now that I was here however, and should they put their faith in me, they would have nothing to worry about.

After leaving the human settlement I traveled with the wolves to their own village, a place they named Nova Bellumis. It was surprisingly not far away which made the over hunting all the more legitimate. They probably lived much deeper and closer to the foot of the mountains before and moving so close to open land must be frightening for them.

They ran pretty swiftly through the forest which made the travel of several miles only take an hour or so. At first they were worried about me being able to keep up, but that was quickly proven to be a silly thing to think. Of course a goddess like me could run faster than they could. I kept near the back of the pack however as they were the ones leading the way and I didn't want them to feel useless.

How was I even able to follow them? Well the had become my worshipers of course and therefore I could go wherever they were going too. Honestly it makes sense. After showing up and not only showing them mercy but saving them as well why wouldn't they worship me? Just after the steak incident these warrior wolves had already taken a liking to me. They seemed to respect power as well which likely helped the case for worshiping me as well.

The moon was still high in the sky as we arrived at Nova Bellumis with the chilly wind blowing through the trees. There were a little less than one-hundred people living in this village from the count I got on my mental map. It wasn't much to look at either, likely due to its rapid construction. Most of the buildings were simple single room houses with a sort of longhouse as the central structure. There were no crop fields to speak of because of the time of year.

Upon arrival most of them turned back into the human forms which let me confirm the ability. They were the kind of werewolves that could change back and forth on command, though I still wasn't sure if it was only at night or any time of day. This was still a good sign though as the trickiest kind would've been if they had no control at all when the moon was out.

Markku however kept his wolf form active. He was the leader of their little militia and it was likely out of habit, always needing to be ready to fight threats and whatnot. He alone stayed with me after the others had said their goodbyes and left to their families. The families who had come out to greet their returning members with great happiness.

As the two of us stood there watching the warriors be greeted by their families I crossed my arms over my chest and sighed.

"I'm not gunna have to make streaks for everyone am I?"

Markku grunted and turned his head to look down at me.

"No goddess. We have a small amount of blood reserves that the women and children use. We will need to hunt tomorrow."

I lifted my left hand to rub my forehead in frustration.

"This situation is such bullshit. If you still lived where you were before the hunting thing wouldn't even be a problem. When I meet this vampire woman I'm giving her a piece of my mind. This is all her fault."

Unsure how to react to my frustration the hulking werewolf looked down at me in confused hesitation.

"Er... Goddess Jenna. I'm sure with your guidance there will be nothing to worry about. Also the demon mage will surely be no match for a goddess."