Arc 2: Kingdom Goddess - Chapter 55

Deep in the middle of the night a prayer came to me. The voice of a young woman crying out for salvation from a nightmare that stalked her in the depth of the darkness. Her fear filled the prayer with despair as this creature assailed her within her own home. There in the room with the moon shining brightly through the window a figure swiftly moved in to the bed and pressed its hand on her exposed neck. As she screamed the sound was cut off as her throat was pressed tightly.

To me of course it made little sense to go there directly for something like this. I was currently busy with reading up on some of the magical schools of the past in this world. There sequestered away in the library of the mages as I had been before I sat with an interesting book. Such attacks on people were common throughout the kingdom and I handled them all in the same way. This one was no different.

It was easy enough to pinpoint where this woman was in some village near the northern boarder. Inside the room of her cottage there was indeed someone in the room with her, another woman to be specific. It seemed there was a murder in progress and I had a simple solution for that. With my left hand raised in the air I summoned forth a small magic circle, sticking my hand through it and into the room at the location.

Quickly my hand appeared from the portal and I struck the attacker with a weak slap on the arm that was currently their victim. This caused her to release her grip and jump back in surprise. Now with the woman on the bed safe my arm stretched out of the portal and elongated until it could grab the neck of the attacking woman. She tried to dodge of course but was unable to due to my speed.

With the victimizer now the victim I quickly manifested a manacle with a chain around her neck using magic. Then my hand slid down to the floor creating chain along the way, eventually ending with a large knot of rope being created on the floor itself and chaining the person in place. After this was done a key fell out of my hand onto the floor which went to the manacle.

Even though it was spooky to have your attacker locked in the room with you for the night it was better than being hurt or killed. This method of trapping bad people had become my preferred method as it required little involvement from me and human agents of justice could simply come in the morning and deal with it themselves.

All of this took less than ten seconds and once it was finished I withdrew my arm until it was normal length again. It then vanished into the portal as I pulled it back to myself in the library room. The situation was now resolved and I proceeded to forget all about it. Now I could continue reading my books in peace. Or at least I had thought that would be the last I thought about it.

-------------------------

Time continued forward until morning came into the world, the sun rising up and banishing the darkness of the night. I had been up all night reading and while I wasn't tired at all it made me feel like I had somehow done something wrong. The habits of my old life coming to haunt me once again I suppose. It can't be helped. I should probably head out anyway though.

I stood up and stretched, lifting my arms over my head and letting out a yawn. Maybe I was feeling a bit of mental fatigue from all the reading. It would be nice to lay down and digest the information on history I had just consumed, sort of like taking a nap after a big meal. It seemed my plans would be once again foiled as another strange prayer was brought to my attention.

Far off to the north in the same village from the attack last night there was a large group of people praying to me. In fact it seemed like the entire village was doing it as over a hundred voices could be heard. Bringing up my internal map I zoomed to the location and saw that indeed there was a verified crowd of people standing in the middle of the village and raising their arms and voices in prayer to me.