Arc 2: Kingdom Goddess - Chapter 67

Far to the north of the kingdom another quite abnormal day was occurring in the city of Vindenne. It was the city of the lordship and the hub for all sorts of matters concerning goddesses as of late. No one knew just what kind of crazy things would happen on any given day. Rumors had been going around that the goddess of the kingdom was planning to begin construction of something called a public school in the city. As it turned out today marked the beginning of construction for this school.

The construction zone was near the edge of the business district of the city and was a recently vacant lot where some rarely used warehouses had been. It could have been easy to convert the warehouses into the school it didn't seem like the correct thing to do. Thus it had been me personally who had demolished them, something easily done when you're a titanic goddess.

After the mess had been cleared away the useful materials had been recycled for use elsewhere on on this project. The entire lot was then left a blank slate of dirt which was flattened out and packed down to prevent structural issues later. Then a foundation of stone was laid and the materials brought in to be arranged. It was like a giant puzzle in three dimensions and was actually fun for me to figure out. We had instructions after all thanks to the blueprint me and some architects had done.

Access to water had also been something I had wanted for the school and a small well had been dug by yours truly. Pipes and a simple hand pump had also been installed with the help of some of the humans as I wanted them to learn. There was also an area fenced off for a small garden and chicken coup enclosure so the children could learn about farming and other useful skills like cooking.

As for the construction crew itself it was made of people from all over the city from the general labor pool. The men and few women were really from all walks of life, including a few previous criminals as well. There was one architect on site as well to help make sure the plans were followed and I served as the foreman overseeing everything. At least when my duties as goddess allowed it. Obviously I couldn't be here twenty-four seven.

While the sky today was clear of clouds it was still quite gray with cold winds blowing down from the nearby mountains. Such weather didn't bother me one bit of course. I'm a goddess. It did however bother the humans I had working with me at the construction site and I had to be understanding of their need to adjust their work accordingly.

Being the one in charge of the worksite it was my job to make sure the workers were all taken care of and safe at any given time. This was something I also actually had some fun doing. There was safety regulations to observe, a small outdoor kitchen to provide simple food for those that couldn't bring their own, and a small first aid station as well. I even made a fire pit for the workers so they could warm themselves them up on these almost winter days. Oh and there were also these things setup to serve as temporary bathrooms as well. I wont go into too much detail on those just that they're there.

I easily could have gotten away without paying the workers since I'm literally their goddess. But that wouldn't be the correct thing to do so of course I paid them. The only real income to speak of I had were the donations to the small churches around the kingdom and it was that money I used for this school alongside the donations from the other sources I had received. This money paid for the wages, food, materials, and any other expenses that came up.

At the moment I was standing in the middle of the construction zone with my normal outfit on. I was however wearing a yellow hard hat and had a clipboard attached to my waist. In my hands was a large piece of waterproofed paper that had the general blueprint laid out on it which I was using to help direct everyone.

Standing beside me was my demi-foreman: a man named Derrick Selamen. He was the architect I had on site and served as the actual foreman whenever I wasn't around. Not that he was special looking at all. He was just a man in his forties with short red-brown hair, green eyes, a small beard, and pale skin. Just from the time I'd spent with him I could tell he was generally easygoing but was very detailed oriented. Apparently he was quite famous around here and was well known for being excellent as his job.