Arc 2: Kingdom Goddess - Chapter 88

The evening sun had long since dipped beyond the horizon at this early hour due to the winter season. This left the world in cold darkness before a person was used to going to bed at other times of the year and they didn't change their habits now. Thus the streets of Vinedenne were still busy despite the darkness of the hour. This didn't bother these busy people and they went about their tasks without ever realizing the horrors which their world contained.

These horrors of course being the ones that I recently had discovered existed beneath all our feet in the world beneath this one. It all had initially sounded like some kind of cosmic space horror, though after asking some probing questions of my mage friend Ferherlyn had discovered it was much more whimsical in nature. According to the knowledge mages had it was more of a supernatural wonderland than pit of tentacled despair.

Fairies and goddesses alone were more than enough to cause the place to be terrifying however. Horror didn't require hideous monstrosities to inflict its damage upon one's heart after all. Honestly knowing what I know about even the fey alone was enough to make me very afraid to dip my toes into such a world. Archfey, if they exist in this world, are equal in power to gods according to myth. Not creatures I'd want to meet unprepared even if their irrational natures didn't combine with goddess level magic.

That however was an issue for another day. I had gone through my panic attack and recovered from it, in no small part thanks to my inner self Sub-chan reminding me of the cold logic. This "Root of Fantasy" is officially separated from the surface world by no small distance and was difficult to transfer between. If there were goddesses down there they were clearly happy enough already. It is either too difficult or outright impossible for them to come to the surface, otherwise they would have long ago.

I was here at Vinedenne Castle to additionally speak about my current plans with the lich Barthenor. Both the lord Quarely and Ferherlyn were trusted enough by me to make their voices important to what I went through with on the matter. Since I'm not outright destroying him something must be done about him. Just because I could keep the lich locked up forever doesn't mean that would be the correct move.

The three of us were currently sitting around a small table in the side room attached to the lord's chambers. This conversation would be important enough it needed to be kept private, yet disturbing enough in nature that a relaxing environment would be most conductive to human mental health. So this pleasantly snug room was perfect for a few friends to have a chat, a cozy fire blazing in the nearby fireplace to banish the winter cold.

I was still dressed in my winter attire, though the fuzzy ushanka style hat I normally wore had been removed for the time being. It was resting on the back of my chair as I sat boosted in my seat by a large folded blanket. Across from me on either my left or my right were my lord and mage friends.

"So you already know why I've asked you here today." I half stated and half asked.

Quarely nodded, his right hand lifted to rest under his chin as he sat the chair in thought.

"It's about the lich you mentioned capturing before." He said as if to catch everyone up. Something he was used to doing in his station. "You've come to some sort of decision and seek our advice I gather?"

"It is an honor as always." Ferherlyn added with a solemn nod. "To be included as part of a goddess's inner circle. Especially one as well meaning as you Goddess Jenna."

I crossed my arms over my chest and pouted at him a bit.

"Well meaning?" I replied with slight exasperation. "As in 'despite my best intentions' or something?"

Ferherlyn looked taken aback and lifted his hands in defense, a slight hint of worry in his expression.

"Oh no no!" He stuttered. "I didn't mean it anything like that goddess!"