Arc 2: Kingdom Goddess - Chapter 59

The late autumn day shone with a bright sun, though the heavenly orb did little in terms of providing warmth. Here at the capital city of Norlov a cold wind whistled through the buildings and sent a shiver down the spine of anyone out of doors. Such things were not a concern for the rich or noble citizens of the city however, as they had well insulated homes in which to hide themselves away. These mansions and other large in city estates stood in the north-west area of the city where they could stand above those poor that populated the rest of the city.

It was in this district that I found myself today, holed up inside a rather luxurious mansion that stood apart from even the other rich homes. This was the estate of the businessman Florentinus Molnar, the tubby purple haired man who had his greedy mitts in all manner of commerce. I so unfortunately had to deal with him due to needing materials to build the schools across the kingdom. Few were as connected in matters of corporeal wealth than this man.

Due to the occasion being one of high profile business I had decided to bring along my champion Jagger Nalark as a sort of bodyguard. Not that I actually needed him of course, but it was expected in such meetings for everyone to have someone there as a security measure. After all who could be more distrustful than the rich? Of course Florentinus had his own bodyguard as well as did the man we were treating with today.

The man in question was named Wren Bard. As an affluent merchant himself he took pride in his vast network of shipping routes that spanned the entire kingdom like a spiderweb. His passion was logistics and through his primary company "Larkland & Co" he was afforded plentiful connections in every corner of Celuduun. He was a tall and somewhat plump man in his late thirties. His golden hair went down to his shoulders and his orange eyes paired well with his fair skin.

Here we were all gathered inside of the main dining room of Florentinus's mansion at a large and heavy oaken table. The walls were decorated in all manner of trophy and painting of exquisite taste and a roaring fireplace kept the otherwise drafty room warm. Servants stood at the ready to get us whatever we needed, something the two men took full advantage of. I of course needed no food or drink and simply differed to my escort for his needs. I was sitting on the west of the table with Jagger behind me. Across from me was Florentinus and Wren sat at the end of the table to my left.

On the table before us were a plethora of papers and counting beads which were here to help us figure out the quantity of materials needed. There was also a map of the kingdom which served to assist us in planning shipment routes. The topic of today was the schools I was planning to build all over the kingdom and how the materials would reach their final destinations. We had already been at it for a couple hours and were reaching the point at which more details of price were discussed.

Florentinus was sliding his finger along the map towards Norlov.

"I find it best to bring all the material to a centralized location here in the capital. All to ensure the proper amounts are accounted for as well as making it much simpler to dole out in shipments. What needs to go where and all."

Wren was sitting with his hands on the table, tented with his fingers splayed out but touching.

"I've heard a great deal about our goddess's strength and size." He said looking over to me. "You've transported entire shipments of goods yourself through portals have you not?"

It was difficult if not impossible for me to figure out what he was thinking. Yes I could just touch him and read his mind but I'd rather not do anything suspicious. Its pretty common knowledge that I can do that and it would jeopardize this whole operation. He'd definitely pull his support and I don't want to have to force someone clearly shady into doing something so critically important. No it was best to play nice for now and do my best to read him without magical powers.