Arc 2: Kingdom Goddess - Chapter 57

Nestled deep in the Teforh Forest where few dared to tread a special village continued its cursed existence. Ever since its salvation at the hands of the goddess Jenna the village Nova Bellumis had become allowed its relocated residents to grow comfortable in their new lives. A village of werewolves, a paradoxical blend of savagery and civilization. Such a settlement was only made possible through the ingenuity of humans and the divine grace of a kind goddess.

The reputation of such a bizarre village had already preceded it throughout the local province. Whispers abounded concerning an entire population of cursed beastmen who thirsted for the blood of man. Fear filled the hearts of anyone who heard of its existence despite the goddess herself reportedly sanctioning the place. Why would Goddess Jenna allow them to continue existing? It certainly confused people.

One such confused individual was Timothy Ukell, the high priest of the goddess. When he heard about an entire village of werewolves he would've normally dismissed it as mad ramblings. That had not been an option however, as he had heard about the place from the goddess herself. Imagine then the anxiety he felt when he heard that he was personally going there. He already had his hands full with his priesthood which was complicated by the presence of his fairy companion.

The playfully sinister fairy Salferia readily enjoyed messing with Timothy and any other humans around her. Though she was on extremely good behavior for a fairy under threat of a goddess's wrath. When she heard about the village of werewolves she thought it was funny that such twisted creatures would play pretend at still being humans. She wanted to visit if for no other reason than to laugh at their expense.

As for the reason the high priest was going to Nova Bellumis? It was at the direct request, or demand, of the goddess herself. There was a shipment of food and clothing that had been gathered as a relief effort for the people there. Because they had been recently relocated their entire lives had been abandoned to a horse of walking dead. All of their clothing, stored food, and even their homes had been lost to them. The fact winter was closing in only exasperated the problem and the grace of the goddess demanded action.

So here Timothy stood at the outskirts of the village, the pile of supply boxes piled high after being teleported here by the goddess. Up above the night sky was dominated by a large glowing moon, the cold winds rustling the trees and causing shadows to skitter about the landscape. He didn't like being here at night but Jenna had insisted on it as it would make the villagers more comfortable than a daytime visit. He clutched his warm cloak around his body and wished for a large fire.

The fairy Salferia stood on his left shoulder, her usual exploring outfit replaced with a warm fuzzy wool dress. Her dark purple pigtails waved around in the light wind and her darkly colored wings were held together behind her back. She watched with excited eyes as the representatives of the village approached them, though it was almost like her emerald eyes viewed them as prey.

Walking towards the goddess and her entourage were three villagers, their faces full of hope and relief at the sight of the supplies.

First was the head warrior Markku, the tall and powerful man in his human form in a rare display. His long black hair in a ponytail behind his back. He was the best warrior in the village and it was he who had personally fought the goddess in hand to hand combat. His reverence for her and the mercy she had shown both him and his people made him a staunch believer.

Second was a man named Pittenbar Illice who acted as one of the main butchers for the village. He was quite knowledgeable in cooking and so was nominated to help inspect the incoming supplies. Even in his human form he was burly, his short black hair unkempt much to his wife's chagrin.