Arc 2: Kingdom Goddess - Chapter 73

Secrets are things that can be difficult to keep from those that are close to you. This is one of the facts of life I had recently reminded of. Having to reveal the existence of Sub-Chan to Timothy was something I'd like to have avoided completely but sadly circumstances had left me in a place where I had no choice. Hopefully he never would tell anyone after I asked him not to. Thankfully he wasn't one to spread rumors, at least I didn't think so. I could only imagine how the public would react if they found out their goddess had an almost split personality. Well in this case it was more so the unconscious mind overriding the conscious, though the general public would never understand such a distinction.

The possible scenarios that might unfold should my secret come out was the current topic of my thoughts at the moment. There were plenty of ways to overthink the various situations that would come from it getting out and I was doing my best not to hype myself up too much. At the moment I didn't really have any other pressing matters to attend to physically so I was sitting in the middle of a forest thinking about things. Of course the topic of the undead was also on the list of thoughts, though after getting stressed out about it I had swapped to the current train of thought.

My musings were interrupted however when an important prayer, or collection of prayers, suddenly came in. It was another one of those instances where a large amount of people were all praying for the same or similar thing, this group coming from a small town up near the northern boarder again. The prayers themselves involved some strange robed figure claiming to be a mage who was visiting their town and asking about the goddess. I had instructed my worshipers all over to pray to me when suspicious things happened after all.

Another unknown mage visiting some of my worshipers? My eyes snapped open and would have normally been blinded by the sudden midday sun if it weren't for my goddess physiology. This was one of those critical situations that raised alarm bells in my head. Just the memory of the last mysterious mage and what they did to people made me jump into action immediately.

With almost no movement I jumped up from the cold ground where I was sitting into a standing position, my glowing portal already opening in the air before me. The magical symbols spun around with great speed as if the swiftness of the portal's summoning was effecting it somehow. There was no time to think about it though as I leapt through it and to the location of one of the people praying.

It was a middle aged woman who was currently hiding inside the doorway of a building alongside a few other women. My sudden appearance from a glowing portal in front of her caused all of them to jump in surprise and even a few of them to let out a shriek of terror. Their fear was short lived however as they recognized me almost instantaneously.

"Goddess?" the first woman asked.

I looked up at the woman and didn't answer. There was no time. Instead my left hand shot out and grabbed onto her own right hand, my eyes glowing as I accessed her memories. The information I was looking for was right at the surface of her mind of as it was the most recent to be added. This being the way the stranger looked and their last known location.

All of this took place in less than a second and without even speaking to the startled civilians I leapt into action. With a spin almost too quick for the human eye to follow I turned around to the door, my eyes returning to normal as I tensed my legs. Then with a jump I leapt into the air and out of the building.

My feet exploded into jets of flames as did my hands, my little body propelled through the air like a supersonic fighter plane. There was even a small sonic boom that echoed throughout the town as I blasted off down the street. These continued like continual thunderclaps as I boosted up and down each street, only stopping for a split second at corners to adjust my trajectory.