Arc 2: Kingdom Goddess - Chapter 71

In a matter of only a few minutes the maid had returned with a teapot and several teacups. There was also a small plate with several varieties of small cookies. Even though Timothy came from a poor family he still knew what sweets looked like. He had even tried one before when his father was cooking for a particularly rich person. It was always impressive to see so much sugar packed into such a tiny food item. He tried one of the cookies but didn't end up finishing it due to how overbearingly sweet it was.

Salferia was also quite impressed with the sweet foods humans had. Fairies rarely had cooked food according to her, preferring to live off the land by foraging for food. They did cook of course, just not anything more complicated than bread or perhaps simple tarts. Something like granular sugar was certainly something the average fairy would never have even dreamed of experiencing.

When Timothy turned to look at Jenna he noticed she was not impressed in the slightest at the cookie she was sampling. She was holding one in her left hand and had taken a bite out of it but her expression looked bored. It made sense that an actual goddess would find human food, even the expensive kind, paling in comparison to whatever she was used to having.

Salferia was currently sitting on the chair summoned for her by the goddess and eating a large chunk of cookie she had broken off the one Timothy had originally had. At her tiny size a full cookie was big enough for her to use as a bed, so even tiny crumbs broken off it were plentiful mouthfuls. She also was trying some of the tea, though with no cups tiny enough for a fairy she had ended up making one herself using magic.

It was easy to forget that fairies had mastery of the same item creation magic that goddesses did, something that Timothy found himself constantly marveling over. Of course a goddess could do much more on a wider scale, unimaginably so. But the simple fact someone so tiny could do the same thing on a tiny scale where humans couldn't at all was something to behold.

Turshok was still sitting in his original position and similarly was not partaking in the cookies. It was obvious that he hadn't brought such things out for himself since the suggestion was made. This was for his guests and in the rare example of true leadership among the nobility he was allowing others to enjoy something he himself refrained from doing. He had noticed the overall lack of enthusiasm from Jenna and seemed a bit concerned about it.

With a smile he placed his teacup back down on its small saucer and looked over to the goddess.

"I'm sorry if the sweets aren't up to the standards of your pallet goddess." He said with an apologetic tone. "Please if there's anything else I can get for you simply name it, as absurd of a notion as that seems for a human to say to a goddess."

Jenna put the cookie down on the little saucer in front of her and then placed her hands together on the table. She let out a small sigh and then turned to look down at the fairy sitting on the table. Whatever was going through her mind was beyond human understanding as she seemed to be almost jealous of the tiny being's great enjoyment.

"Oh don't worry about it dude." Jenna said calmly. "I've just never been all too into sweets. Salt has always been my preferred go to for snacks."

This response got both young men to pause and think in bewilderment. The only thing they could think of that fit such a description would be jerky, though eating that was hardly pleasant. It was a ration for long journeys.

Turshok decided to break the question where his compatriot was too shy to.

"Pray what kind of snack would that be?" He asked genuinely curious.

Jenna sat back in her chair and twirled her index fingers in the air while keeping her hands together on the table.

"Oh nothing you've every heard of I guess." She replied. "There's these things called potato chips I really loved. A specific kind anyway." Then she looked down at her hands and got a very hungry look in her eyes. "They were just potatoes sliced into really thin pucks and cooked in oil. Then they were coated in pure vinegar and sprinkled in salt!"