Arc 2: Kingdom Goddess - Chapter 98

Around a week had passed since the full induction of both Barthenor and Neske into the official following of mine. Considering how I had met them and what they were it seemed like a dream still that they even agreed to work with me at all. It would make much more sense if I was a goddess of evil, darkness, or something. However no one was going to see me complain about having such powerful followers in my possession. Others will surely still find it funny however that powerful undead are following a goddess of light primarily associated with the sun. At first I thought they only joined in order to get the chance to escape but my concern was quickly proven unfounded.

That day in my goddess domain when the two of them pledged themselves to me it had been very emotional and therefore awkward for me. In fact it had been so overwhelming that I didn't even speak to them until the following day, the excuse I gave them being to allow them to have their space. Thankfully that had been fine with them and they had needed some time to themselves anyway. I was told after the fact by each individually that they had harbored some worries still even after joining me, worries that had been dispersed once I put them to work.

Barthenor was assigned of course to the school system that was beginning to start construction all over the kingdom. The original school was still in the city of Vinedenne and had already begun classes which my teachers were handling themselves but did not include the training of more teachers. That task had originally been mine but thankfully with a hyper intelligent new subordinate I could afford to take that extra weight off my own workload.

Thus did the dread lich get installed as headmaster of the college level courses designed to train new teachers for the school system, something he took to with actual enjoyment despite his undead nature. He even helped me design the courses themselves and was a great deal of help in polishing up the various textbooks I had written. This helping with the books was in its beginning phase though with, at the moment, it just consisting of simple changes. However he promised to help me fully edit the books I had and even write new textbooks in the future.

Having a undead lich in charge, especially someone known as a "demon mage," certainly raised some eyebrows in the human world. That was something I had expected however and tried to preemptively handle by introducing him to key figures I knew in leadership. There was only so much they could do however and others didn't like Barthenor at first. Over time however those in the academic world and mage world would eventually come around to him. There would always be a portion that never accepted him but they could be handled on their own.

The various human mages were of particular concern to me as they were the most dangerous so to speak to my school plans. They were also the most likely to make an actual threatening move agaisnt the lich should they so choose and would surely be trying to undermine the both of us in the kingdom at large. This would be counteracted by the sheer amount of good the two of us would be doing for the public itself and the support of the masses would hopefully keep the elites in check.

Barthenor was also no stranger to these kinds of politics as he had been a very prominent mage himself. Even though the centuries may pass through ages the fundamentals of politics never change. He was also immensely powerful to the point a regular human mage might not even pose a threat to him at all anyway. These were the reassurances he had given me himself when asked about my concerns and so I felt pretty confident in leaving him on his own for the most part. Of course there was still my watchful eye from the aether that kept a close eye on him where I could. Having him run completely free was still not a smart idea.

Ferherlyn continue being a huge help in regards to this entire situation as he was pretty much the only human mage I actually trusted. It actually made me feel bad just a little bit to add such a kingdom altering problem to his duties. However with the support of his own mages I had faith he would be able to make it through. I was also there for him whenever he needed me for tense or extra difficult situations, the authority of a goddess able to settle many a dispute which I demonstrated as time went on.