Chapter 31

A late 9/11 tribute.

    Tails was fiddling around in his workshop one day and happily listening to the radio when the music suddenly stopped. "Huh?" Tails looked up, confused. "Why'd the music stop?"

    Confused, he picked up his radio and was about to decide to tinker with it when an announcement played: "Attention, everyone. A moment of silence for the fallen of this day, the darkest day in all of American history."

    Now Tails was even more confused, and even got concerned. What was going on? What had gone wrong for someone to take a morning moment? He soon got his answer when the announcer continued speaking, but what he heard would be shocking: "Today, on this dark day of September 11th, 2001, four coordinated suicide terrorist attacks were carried out against the United States. That morning, 19 terrorists hijacked four commercial airliners scheduled to travel from the New England and Mid-Atlantic regions of the East Coast to California. The hijackers crashed the first two planes into the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in New York City, two of the world's five tallest buildings at the time, and aimed the next two flights toward targets in or near Washington, D.C., in an attack on the nation's capital. The third team succeeded in crashing into the Pentagon, the headquarters of the U.S. Department of Defense in Arlington County, Virginia, while the fourth plane crashed in rural Pennsylvania following a passenger revolt. The attacks killed 2,977 people in all. Let us take a moment to mourn those who sacrificed their lives for freedom."

    Tails gasped. He had no idea that it'd taken place. Did anyone else know about it? Wondering how it played out, he headed over to a small TV he'd set up in the workshop not too long ago and turned it on. Immediately, it flipped on to what happened that day: as he watched the screen, Tails' eyes widened in shock and sadness as the planes crashed into the Twin Towers, the Pentagon, and rural Pennsylvania. Even though some passengers sacrificed themselves to save the White House (which was the original target), it didn't stop the damage the flight crashes caused: property was destroyed, lives were lost, and survivors, whether they be witnesses, rescue crews, or anyone else in general, were forever scarred by the event, and future generations would learn of this traumatizing moment and of the sacrifices made. 9/11 stil remained, to this day even after so long, the single-most darkest moment in all of American history. Maybe even in world history.

    Shaking with sadness, Tails weakly stood up, only to stumble to the floor thanks to his legs giving out. He couldn't believe what he had just witnessed. But he wasn't dreaming; he saw it, clear as day. Opening his communicator, Tails meant to call Sonic, but froze, hesitating. Maybe Sonic was busy with something, maybe talking with Amy or going out on one of his runs. It could be one of those options. With that in mind, he decided to settle on someone else.

    A few minutes later, someone entered his workshop. "Tails?" asked a voice.

    Tails looked up, his ears perking up a bit at the voice. And there, standing at the entrance, was none other than Cosmo, who was also as sad. She and Zooey had heard and saw what happened. In fact, it was as if everyone in Bygone Island heard about it. Even Eggman; sure he was a villain, but he wasn't an outright psychopath. Even he had standards. Today, he'd taken the day off so he to could mourn the lives lost.

    Now, as the two young lovers looked at each other, Tails sniffled once more, promting Cosmo to come over to him. Sitting next to him, she wrapped her arms around him and wordlessly hugged him. At the contact, Tails proceeded to cry into Cosmo's shoulder, hugging her back in return. Cosmo just hushed him gently, rocking him back and forth. "It's okay, Tails," she said, whispering into his ear. "I'm here. You're not alone."