Chapter 12 Green that sparkles

Felix

---

"I met a girl," I said into my phone.

It had been an hour since I had seen her outside the fence. Her clothing and the way she had stared at the house had first amused me. But then Zoe had turned.

Something about her appearance had made her seem otherworldly. Probably the different, strong contrasts. The pale skin against the hair red as a heart, all which made her green eyes pop out even more. Her green eyes. I had never liked my eye color. The green was such a boring ordinary green. But the green in her eyes had sparkled and matched the color of her dress completely. Her clothes had continued to perplex me, though. Not that she hadn't looked good in it. She could probably wear garbage and still look beautiful. But she had been so covered. Even her hands with black gloves. And it was summer, so it had to be warm.

Though my confusion over her clothing was nothing like my confusion over how quick and intense my interest in her had been. Not only her beauty, but there was something in her way of being that made me need to know more. And the disappointment and sadness I had felt when I'd thought she'd rejected me by lying about not having a phone... I had never felt anything similar. Even when Eveline had broken up with me, it hadn't felt as bad, and we had been together for three years at that point. That sadness hadn't even gotten close to the sadness of believing Zoe didn't want me. It had been like a part of me had been ripped away.

Zoe seemed to have won my heart in one short conversation and I couldn't help but wondered if it had really happened or if she had just been a hallucination. I had never believed in love at first sight, but that had certainly been it.

I had planned to call and tell my best friend Alex about it, just like I told her about almost everything in my life. But I had originally meant to wait until the evening. I had spent the past hour trying to do some of the work Dad had set me, tried to find information about witches in a specific coven. I had stared at the books while my mind had been occupied by Zoe. She was, without a doubt, the most beautiful woman I had ever seen.

So after one hour, I had given up and called Alex.

"Keep going," was all Alex answered on the other side of the phone.

"I... I can't explain it. Like it's been an hour and I've just not been able to stop thinking about her."

"Damn... What about her is so special?"

I felt a surge of annoyance at the tone in Alex's voice. "Everything. Like it's just something about her. She must be the most beautiful woman I've ever since."

"Ah! Big boobs and ass?"

"As a matter of fact, I was too busy looking at her eyes to take notice of those parts." I already regretted calling her.

Alex was my best and oldest friend. We had shared secrets, happiness, and sadness ever since we were seven years old. Many had often wondered when we would become a couple, even to the point that one of the major issues I had had with Eveline had been Alex, but our friendship had never been more than friendship. If anything, it was more like we were siblings. I loved her to death, but she could be so blunt and crude sometimes, and it wasn't like that with Zoe. It wasn't that I wanted to have sex with her, though I wouldn't say no to that, but it was more. I just wanted to find out everything about her. Talk to her, make her laugh, protect her, be with her.

"What has actually gotten into you?" Alex asked and her tone had dropped all of the jokingly manner which made my annoyance ebb away. "You sound like if you'd seen the sun for the first time."

"That's not a bad comparison. There's just something about her."

"What's her name, and how did you meet?" Her voice was business-like. 

"Zoe. She was standing outside the fence here, admiring the house."

"And when are you meeting her again?"

"Tomorrow for coffee at Roses and Pines. She's just visiting Hartford, though."

I had avoided thinking about that fact. The idea that she maybe would be gone soon just sent too much crashing pain into my heart.

"Maybe it would be better if you didn't see her again at all then," Alex said and then quickly added as if she could sense my rising anger through the phone: "I mean. If she's leaving soon anyway. You already seem to be very into her and getting to know her better might increase that, making it even harder when she leaves."

"I know," I sighed and leaned my forehead to my hand.

"But that won't stop you?"

"No."

I knew Alex shook her head on the other side of the phone. "Well, I'll cross my fingers for you."

"And tell me I told you so when she leaves and I turn sour?"

Alex laughed lightly. "We'll see about that."

We said our goodbyes and then hung up.

I tried to go back to my work again, but as before, Zoe intruded in my mind. This time, though, it was the knowledge of my limited time with her I thought most about. But there had to be a way to keep in contact with her when she left town. She didn't have a phone, so I guessed she didn't have a computer either. She would have an address at least so we would be able to send letters. And I could go visit her often. Maybe she would also be okay with having a phone just for us to be able to talk. I could buy her one.

What the actual fuck, I thought. I knew nothing about her, but already I thought of buying her a phone just to be able to keep in contact with her. I had to be out of my mind.