Chapter 102 Threats

Felix

---

Zoe insisted on making dinner, even though both me and her dad tried to get her to rest instead. It maybe actually was a good idea for her to cook. She had to be emotionally exhausted, and the simple and repetitive movements of cooking might have been just what she needed.

She didn't talk much during the dinner. Instead, me and her dad got a chance to get to know each other. I was surprised over how easy it was to get along with him. Much easier than any of my exes' parents. Well, there really was just one ex whose parents I had met. But with them it had taken a long time for me to feel like they approved of me and it never really got to the point where I felt like they genuinely liked me. But Zoe's dad, or well Noah as he said it was fine for me to call him while laughing over the fact that I had been calling him sir, it was natural to get along with.

It probably wasn't that surprising, really. His personality was very similar to Zoe's. Kind and warm and surprisingly curious. Just like Zoe. And just like Zoe, he didn't know about a lot of things I took for granted and he had even taken forward pen and paper as we talked to write down different things he had to try. Meanwhile, I was just as curious about him. I quickly learnt that he was about 300 years old and that led to a lot of questions.

As soon as Zoe had finished eating, she had moved to sit on my lap. Even though she didn't say anything, I felt how she was content in the situation. I could see how she listened intently and her mouth would turn into a small smile from time to time. It seemed like she was happy to just sit there and listen to us talk for forever.

Noah had just finished washing up after dinner and was getting into a story about when he had moved to the USA in the end of the 1700s when the door burst open.

"The coven is on its way," Ash exclaimed and Zoe straightened up in my lap, fear in her eyes that were mirrored in Noah's.

"They can't know you're here," Noah said and looked from me to Zoe.

"They'll sense if I use magic," she retorted.

"You have to leave. Use nymph magic."

"Then you're coming too! They might hurt you."

"It'll be too suspicious. You two go. I'll be fine."

"No! I came to protect you, not leave you with them!"

I coughed to break through their argument. They both turned to stare at me.

"You said before that if I'm wearing the amulet while holding you, the amulet's power effect you too," I said and Zoe's eyes instantly shined. She gave me a quick kiss before pulling me away to another room. Ash and Pine also ran off again.

"We'll hide, alright? And if they do anything, I'll protect you. I promise," Zoe said over her shoulder, before shoving me into a room. She followed and closed the door. I hugged her to me, held her close to make sure the amulet's power worked on her too.

The room we had entered was, without a doubt, Zoe's bedroom and, like the rest of the house, it felt warm and homey. A complete contrast to my home. Overall, in the house, there were a lot of books, a lot of trinkets, and a lot of paper and parchment spread around. I had stolen glances at what was written on the different papers, but it made little sense to me. The only thing I gathered was that all of them had to do with magic in various ways.

Zoe's room seemed more orderly than the rest of the house. Her thrown around papers and such were at least confined to a desk that stood facing a window. One of the walls was completely covered in bookshelves and all of the books looked old. There were also several decorative items all around the room. They looked old just like the books and I would have called several of them antics, but I assumed that to Zoe they weren't.