Chapter 54 Warm, happy, alive

Zoe

---

Alex left after the pie. Felix insisted I stayed in the living room and relaxed while he did the final cleaning up. Having nothing really to do, I walked around the room to look closer at things. There wasn't much to look at, however. No real decoration or anything. The only thing of interest was a painting of Jesus on the cross, but that didn't hold my attention for too long.

Just as I went to sit back down on the couch, Felix returned. He had his hands in his pockets and looked hesitant about something.

"You know Alex was exaggerating, right?" he said. "It's okay if you don't like the movie."

"But it is your favorite movie, right? I'm sure I will like it. And besides, I have no movie to compare it to. So stop worrying and put it on."

He readily agreed and then settled on the couch next to me after having turned the movie on. I started with making sure that there was a proper amount of space between us, but Felix wouldn't have that. To my surprise, though, he laid down on the couch and placed his head on my lap. I felt awkward to start with, but soon I absentmindedly played with his hair while being completely absorbed by the screen.

I really did like the movie. How much of that was due to it being the first movie I ever watched, I didn't know. But I got sucked into it straight away. It was fascinating with the whole concept of a movie, of the moving pictures and sounds, and it all seemed so realistic even though travelling in space like they did obviously wasn't possible.

"So?" he asked as soon as the movie was over and sat back up again.

"I loved it," I answered with a big smile.

"You're not just saying that?" he frowned.

"Did it seem like I didn't enjoy it?" I laughed.

"There are more movies in the story that we can watch." His excitement was all over him and reminding me of an overly enthusiastic puppy.

"Sure, but maybe some other time. Can we go outside for a bit? I liked the movie but sitting still like makes me sleepy."

"Of course."

We went out to their garden that definitely wasn't a garden. From the inside of it, it became even clearer that the fence around the property stopped the forest to even move an inch closer to the house.

"Why is there nothing growing in the garden? Or even a bench or something to sit on?" I asked as I looked around.

Felix shrugged. "I don't know. It's always been like this. Bare and empty. You want to get out and into the forest?"

I nodded, and we left. We didn't go deep into the forest before walking in the direction of the city. There were a few birds singing, and it smelled fresh and alive.

"It smells just like you," I said as we walked.

"What do you mean?" he asked behind me.

"You smell like the forest to me."

"The forest, really?"

"Yeah. Just like your eyes look like grass, you smell like the forest, like nature. The best thing on this earth."

We walked a bit further in silence. Three squirrels ran on the trees. A butterfly passed through. A hedgehog disappeared into a bush. So full of life and wonders.

"You smell like strawberry," Felix suddenly said. "I never thought about it before, but you smell like strawberry and chocolate and sugar."

"Really?" I laughed.