Chapter 82 Friend

Zoe

---

I couldn't help but keep on being nervous the whole way over to Alex's apartment. Felix did his best to keep me from spiraling by talking about random things. But the anxiety was still there.

Going to Alex's was the best option though, it was the only option, really. And the worst that could happen was that Alex never wanted to hang out with me again. Problem was that for me that felt like a big risk. It was just that she was the first person since Scarlet that I could even start thinking about as a potential friend and there had been too much of an emotional rollercoaster lately. I wasn't ready for another one.

It was evening, and it was weird to think that it had only been a bit over twenty-four hours since I had touched the tree. Too much had happened. Too many twists and turns and new information. I really hoped that everything went well with Alex so we could get a moment to just land and relax a little before working on a solution to everything.

"It's going to be fine," Felix told me as we stood outside her door. I could feel the reassurance radiate from him, and I gave him a weak smile before he rang the bell.

"Thank fuck! That fucking phone call scared the shit out of me. What the hell is..." Alex rambled straight away when she opened the door, but as she noticed me standing slightly behind Felix, she stopped. Her eyes were wide for a moment and face frozen, then it turned to a huge smile.

"I'm sorry Alex. I actually forgot about the phone call," Felix answered, but it was clear she didn't pay attention to him anymore as she also noticed that me and Felix held hands.

"Love the dress," she said to me with a wink. "It suits you way better than the one before. Though you definitely have a specific taste."

"Thank you," I smiled back at her and some of my nerves disappeared.

"Okay, so both of you seem better than ever. So what the fuck was up with that phone call yesterday?" Alex turned back to Felix, and the smile was gone. Her voice had been hard with anger, but it was possible to see lingering fear on her face.

"It's a long story," Felix sighed and shook his head. Though I could feel that he was still very happy, his exhaustion had started to come forth. "Can we stay here for a few days?"

She moved to the side to let us in. "Will you tell me the long story?"

Felix opened his mouth. I was sure he was going to say something evasive to spare me from having to reveal things I didn't want to. But I wanted to tell Alex everything. Yes, I was worried. But I didn't want to live in fear. I also had a lot I needed to fully explain to Felix as well, so might as well say all with Alex around too. If I wanted her to be my friend, she would have to know, anyway. She would sooner or later notice that I didn't age like her.

"Yes," I answered before Felix had time.

He looked back at me, searched in my eyes for something. Whatever he saw there made him stay quiet.

Alex's apartment wasn't big. It was only one bedroom, a living room, and a kitchen.

We sat down in the living room. Me and Felix tight together on the couch and Alex in an armchair. She had also gotten us some tea to drink, and she pulled her legs up, made herself comfortable. She looked like she was expecting a long and interesting story. Almost more like a goodnight story than something serious and possibly dangerous.

"I don't know where to start," I mumbled when we sat down.

"You have understood what my dad really does, right?" Felix asked Alex and started the conversation.