Chapter 51 Only yours

Zoe

---

I still held back laughter to some extent as we made our way to the top floor, but as soon as we got there, I realized what room I had yet to see and the laughter disappeared and butterflies took over.

Felix's bedroom.

"That's my dad's office," Felix said as we walked past the first door. "He always locks it."

I nodded, not really caring, though I guess I should have. The next two rooms were guest bedrooms and then we came to a room with an open door and one glance was all it took for me to know it was Felix's bedroom.

"And this is my room," he said unnecessarily while I was already walking in.

It was a completely different world to the rest of the house. There were posters on the walls and a few photos of Felix and Alex. There were some clothes thrown over a chair and a table cluttered with books and papers. A bookshelf, but that clearly contained modern fictional books instead of the type of books in the library. The walls were in a light blue and the bedding had prints of race cars.

"I've had that since I was a kid," Felix said, and a blush spread on his cheeks.

"It's cute," I answered and walked to lie on the bed. As I did, I noticed taped up pieces of plastic that looks like stars and moons and planets on the ceiling.

"They shine in the dark. See." He turned off the light he had turned on as we got there and the plastic pieces shone. "I've had them up there since I was a kid as well."

"I like this room," I said and sat up. "It feels alive."

"And the rest of the house doesn't?"

He walked over and sat down on the bed next to me.

"I... I didn't mean... It's just..." I stammered, feeling ashamed because that was what I thought, but it wasn't a nice thing to say at all.

"Don't worry. I agree. Honestly, the house has never felt like a home like other homes do. I've been to Alex's often, and that is a home. This place isn't," he said in a casual tone and shrugged, but he couldn't quite hide the sadness from his eyes.

"I'm sorry," I said and placed my hand over his.

"Don't worry. I hope that wherever I move after this will feel more like a home."

"I hope so too."

I hoped we would live together in the future and that our home would be warm and full of life.

"I should probably start cooking," I then added to change the topic.

Felix got up, and I followed, but as I got to the door, I stopped. On the wall, next to the door, sat a photo of Felix that made it unquestionable if the Librarian looked like Felix as a kid to me or not.

"You look cute," I said as I studied the five-year-old. He really looked cute, but only because it was him. The photo in itself wasn't cute. He wore a suit and stood in front of a grey wall with an empty expression. The style looked more like a photo a businessman would take than something fit for a small child.

When Felix saw what I was referring to, he made a disgusted face.

"That's one of few pictures from when I was a kid."

"Your eyes were very green then as well. As green as grass." I place a finger to where his eyes were in the picture.

"I've never liked my green eyes, yours are much better. They sparkle."

"Sparkle?" I laughed and turned to him, shaking my head. "I've always found my eyes to be dull. And they are definitely dull compared to yours."

We walked back down while arguing about whose green eyes were the best. I changed my gloves to plastic gloves we had bought when we got to the kitchen and started on making the food. Felix insisted on helping, so I got him cutting some vegetables. We had only been working for a few minutes when Felix's phone rang.

"It's Alex," he said before answering. "What's up?"

"I've been dying with curiosity to know what happened after you two left, so don't just what's up-me. Do you know how hard it's been resisting to call earlier?"

Felix stood close enough, or Alex talked loud enough, or a combination, so I could hear her clearly.

"Nothing really happened, alright," Felix bluntly lied, which I was incredibly grateful for.

"Can't you give me any little detail?"

"Even when there's none to give? I can make something up if that would satiate your thirst for gossip."

"Ugh, whatever. Be boring," Alex groaned. "When are you hanging with her next time?"

"She's next to me in my kitchen." Felix looked at me with such a radiant smile when he said that.

"You're not cooking, right? You can't subject her to that ever!"

I started laughing as Felix grumbled something about that he had only added way too much pepper one time.

"Is that her? Can she hear me?" Alex continued.

"I'm helping her, she's the one cooking," Felix replied to the previous question.

"Well, that's good. Hey, can I come over? I got nothing to do, and I want to hang out with Zoe again."

"I'm not..."

"Please, please, please, come on! Don't be a boring couple that only spend time with each other."

"It'll definitely be enough food for her too," I said on the side and saw how Felix's eyes seemed to dim slightly at my comment.

"What did she say? Did she say yes?"

"Yeah, come over," Felix said in an annoyed tone.

"Awesome! See you soon."

When Felix put down the phone, I gently leaned my head towards his chest.

"Don't be upset. I'll cook for you and only you some other day."

He wrapped one arm around me before answering.

"It's you I don't want to share, not the food."

"She'll only be here for a little while and then we'll be alone again," I said and straightened up to continue cooking while feeling my cheeks heat up from his comment. "Besides, I'll always only be yours and no one else's."