Chapter 108 Everyday mundanity

Felix

---

We stayed for two days more after everything with the Priestess, and by extension the coven, had been solved. Zoe had wanted to make absolute sure that everything would be settled with the coven. And also get some time to properly talk with Scarlet.

Zoe had been quite terrifying that evening when talking to the Priestess. Her voice had been menacing, and she had exuded such raw power. It had been such a relief when she had turned back to me and Scarlet and straight away acted like her regular sweet self.

We had eaten a little in silence, Zoe nestled in my lap, but after all emotions settled somewhat, Scarlet had seemed to be in a hurry to leave. The next day, Zoe had gone to the coven's main house to talk it all out with her. Of course, with me by her side.

They had talked for a long time and even though Scarlet on the surface forgave Zoe and agreed with that it hadn't been her fault, there had still been some residues of contempt towards her. Zoe didn't blame her for it, and if anything seemed grateful for that Scarlet could forgive her even just a little bit.

Logically, I could understand Scarlet's feelings. But I still didn't like her attitude. When me and Zoe had gotten to bed that previous night, she had explained exactly what had happened regarding Scarlet's mate and I firmly thought that Zoe had no blame in the matter. But... I knew perfectly well that if anyone would have harmed Zoe, let along kill her, intentionally or not, I would have a hard time forgiving them.

When they had met, they had also talked about the coven's future. To my surprise, Scarlet had already taken over as Priestess. I had assumed that such a thing would take much longer and be much more complicated. But apparently all she had had to do was go back, tell the others that she and the old Priestess had fought, she had won and the Priestess had left.

It made everything very easy for Zoe, though. With their newfound understanding of each other, Scarlet was completely fine with Zoe leaving the coven without actually leaving it. Meaning that Zoe would still be a member and if she in the future would be in a position where she needed a coven, she would have one. The only thing Scarlet asked for in return was her help in case the old Priestess decided to return.

The day that followed, we just rested as well as packed up the things that Zoe and Noah wanted to bring with them. Noah had also agreed without hesitation to leave the home behind and move to mine and Dad's house.

So then, after a long night's sleep, we were all ready to return to Hartford. They had more things they wanted to move than what could be taken in one trip. So that day, we only took the essentials and they would come back later for the rest.

When I stepped out from a tree together with Zoe, I first thought that she had taken me to the wrong place. Then I realized Dad had just been very busy while we'd been gone.

The fence wasn't there anymore.

Signs of that it had been there were obvious in the ground, but it was gone and the garden and house had never looked as welcoming as it did then.

Zoe let out a giggled at the surprise.

"Well, this is much better," she exclaimed.

Dad must have been anxiously waiting for us to come back because we weren't even half-way to the door when it burst open and he came out of it. It was so strange to see the relief on his face. All those years I had just been met by his anger no matter what, so to see such a loving feeling as relief over that I was okay felt very odd.

Zoe quickly introduced Noah and Dad to one another and then we all together went into the house.

The difference inside the house wasn't as obvious as the one outside of it, but there definitely was one. An obvious thing that I noticed was that the portrait of Ralph Oakes was gone, but other than that, I couldn't pinpoint any physical changes. The house just seemed lighter, happier. And maybe it was simply that, that there had been too many negative emotions floating around in the house, but that had now gone.

Zoe and I had gone out to buy food that day and then in the evening, we had together cooked. Ash and Pine had both shown up when dinner was ready and invited themselves. It had honestly been a welcomed intrusion. They were just so chipper and there had been some awkwardness and tension in the air before their arrival. Dad had, after all, just recently been hunting after Zoe, and Noah had been the next on his list of witches to kill to get to her.

But with Ash and Pine there, who seemed to find joy in everything, the tension was quickly dispersed. In fact, once the dinner was over, Dad and Noah together went to our library because Noah wanted to see the collection and Dad was curious about how much of what he had been taught was wrong.

Meanwhile, me and Zoe went to just lay outside on the grass. We didn't say anything. Just laid there peacefully together. I had an arm around her and she used me as a pillow. I could have stayed like that forever.

But as we laid there, I started to feel worry coming from her that kept on getting stronger the more time that passed.

"Talk to me," I simply said and knew she would know what I was referring to.

"Everything is great right now," she said. "I've never felt this happy before in my life. Me and Father are finally free from the coven and I have you. Everything is just perfect."

"But," I prompted her when she got quiet.

"I'm just worried for how long it'll last. Silly, right?" She laughed as if trying to laugh away her own worries, but it didn't help. "I guess I've always had something to worry about, so now I even worry when everything is fine."

I turned my head and kissed her forehead lightly.

"With time, you'll stop. As you realize that all of this is here to stay."

"But what if something happens?"

"Then we'll deal with it when it happens. Together. But until then, let's just fill our lives with everyday mundanity."

"Everyday mundanity," she mumbled. "I like that."