Chapter 92 Death and life

Zoe

---

There was only one memory following, and it was redder than any other. There were so many memory threads moving into that one. I looked ahead of it and noticed that it only was connected to one other memory on the other side, but from that second one, a million new ones branched out.

That was what I had been looking for. The key memories that I needed to heal and hopefully so many of the others would heal in turn. But... I didn't want to see it. Whatever it was, it was bad, and I was afraid. I wished I could heal the memory without knowing its content, but instincts told me it would be impossible.

I looked back and around. Saw all of the gray threads and let them motivate me. I was still afraid, but I had to do it, so I went in.

I was in a bedroom and it felt completely cold and lifeless. The celling lamp was out, and the curtains were drawn over the windows. There was only a small amount of light coming from a few candles standing on a table.

On the bed was Annabel. She was curled into a ball and seemed to be holding something.

"I'm sorry," she whispered in between sobs.

Harry walked over to her and sat down next to her. He placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Annabel, love. You have to let him go," Harry said in a soft voice.

"No," she exclaimed and seemed to hold on to whatever she held even tighter.

"He's gone. He's dead. The only thing left we can do for him is to give him a proper funeral."

"No!" Annabel yelled and looked up, making it possible for me to see what she held.

I gasped and almost ran away. It took all of my willpower to not follow my instincts and leave Harry and his memories. To not let go of him and run to Felix, to make sure he was okay. Because in her arms was baby Felix and he was clearly dead.

"Please," Harry begged her. "You can't stay like this forever and we need to bury him."

"He can't be dead. He can't be!" Annabel answered and looked back down at the too still baby in her arms. Her tears fell on his face. "He was healthy. He can't be dead. I shouldn't have listened to the doctors. We should have stayed at the hospital."

"You can't beat yourself up. We did what we thought was best. We didn't know it would end like this."

Harry continued to try to comfort her, but it was clear she didn't listen to anything and she continued to refuse to let go of the corpse.

Harry looked exhausted, both from lack of sleep and sorrow. I watched as he desperately tried to find the right things to say to Annabel, but he seemed to be falling apart more and more for each word. He wildly looked around the room, as if there would be an answer written on the walls.

I felt sick to my stomach, because I was certain about what would happen. There was only one magical creature that I knew of that had the power to raise the dead. But there was a price to pay for it and the price was steep.

Annabel cried uncontrollably again while whispering how sorry she was over and over. I watched Harry and could almost see the moment he broke. It looked like he went from the deepest of despair to determination. His mind had been made up.

"Annabel, love," he said. "I've read about a type of witches that should be able to fix this. They can make dead people alive again, properly alive."

"Magic?" Annabel mumbled and looked at him.

"Yes. Magic can solve this. Magic can bring our Felix back to us. But I'm not sure. Dad has always warned me against magic. Said that magic is always evil."