Chapter 97 Protect and take care

Zoe

---

I was all warm and comfortable. I wanted nothing more than to stay where I was for forever. A smell of clean engulfed me, but I could smell nature as well that made me aware that Felix was by me. I moved closer to the smell of nature and took a deep breath from it.

Then I slowly started to realize that something was off. I tried to remember what I had last done, and all that came to mind was the shower. It had felt so nice to feel water wash over me, so relaxing. But I clearly wasn't in the shower now.

I opened my eyes. My head was using Felix as a pillow and there was a blanket over us both. He leaned down and pressed his lips to the top of my head and I shifted so I could look at him.

"You're awake," he said with a soft smile.

"I... Weren't we showering?" I looked around. We were on the bed in his bedroom. Had the shower been a dream? Had the whole day been a dream? My slightly damp hair told me otherwise, though.

"We were," he nodded. "But you basically fell asleep standing up while explaining about magical stamina."

"Oh," was all I could say as I understood. Similar things had happened when I was younger. I had often pushed myself hard to learn magic quickly. Too hard, really, in a desperate attempt to prove I wasn't just the girl with a killing touch. Then I had, however, been left where I had lost consciousness unless Father had managed to find me. Or Scarlet. Everyone else had been too scared to touch me, or found amusement in my misfortune.

"Don't do that again, okay?" Felix said sternly. "You have to take care of yourself. Don't push yourself to your limit."

I gave him a smile and a kiss on the cheek. I avoided answering, because it wasn't something I could promise. If a situation came where I had to, I would push myself to my limit and beyond again.

"How long have I been asleep for?" I asked to change the topic.

"Three hours maybe. Not that long," he shrugged, but I felt my stomach fall to the ground.

I needed to get to my father. I needed to make sure that he was okay. And I needed to confront the coven.

"I have to get going," I said while pushing myself to sitting. Felix immediately pulled me back to a laying position.

"We still need to talk about that. I don't want you to go without me," he said and held me tight to his body with both his arms and legs. Trapping me.

"I need to get there fast," I said and tried to keep any frustration out of my voice.

"I can drive fast."

I rolled my eyes. "You would be in danger."

"So will you be and I will be worried sick if I don't come. I might even do something rash. I'll probably follow if you go without me."

I moved out of his grip forcefully and turned to look at him with anger. "That's unfair!"

He shrugged and looked completely unabashed by my comment. "It's the truth. Plus, don't deny that you wouldn't if the roles were reversed."

"That's different!"

"How?" He was sitting up now also and had crossed his arms.

"It just is!"

"What? Because you're a witch and can protect yourself while I'm just a feeble human?"

"That's not... Well... Yes! Alright yes!"

His face fell and hurt was written all over it. I knew it wasn't so much that I thought so that hurt him. He probably knew that was the truth deep down. But hearing it, having me actually say it, was hurting him.

I knew he wanted to protect me as fiercely as I wanted to protect him. But that wasn't something he could, and that was a fact, so I didn't completely care if it hurt him in that moment. He needed to accept it.

It surprised me though, how quickly the hurt disappeared from his face and resolution came instead.

"Fine! You may think so. I can't change that. But I know where your dad lives. So even if you teleport yourself there and leave me behind, I'll just drive myself there. I'm not going to wait around here while you're risking your life. So you have two options. Either you teleport and I drive on my own, or we drive together."

My mouth fell open, and I just stared at him. From the determination in his eyes, I knew he would do it. That nothing I could say would change his mind.

For a moment, I tried to figure out a way to make him stay put. Not by words, but by force. The problem was that as long as he had an amulet on him, there wasn't anything effective that I could do.

"You're impossible!" I told him and got out of the bed. I looked around and saw my dress hanging from his wardrobe door and snatched it to me.

"So which will it be?" he asked, and there was smugness written all over him.

"Just get dressed!"

I pulled the dress over my head and left the bedroom before he could say another word. His safety was too important and the idea of him driving on his own scared me. Too many unexpected things could happen. I did, however, want just a moment of space from him before verbalizing my agreement.

I went down the stairs and out to the garden. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Tried to let nature calm me. But something was disturbing the nature. Whispered voices that made my eyes snap up and look around.

Their heads peered up from the other side of the fence circling the house. As soon as I locked eyes with them, they both smiled and pushed themselves up and over the fence.

"We were anxious!" Pine exclaimed as they danced towards me.

"We just wanted to make sure all was well," Ash added on.

They both smiled brightly at me and as soon as they were within reach, they took hold of one of my hands each.

"All's fine with me, but I got to go and check on my father," I told them.

"Felix is alright? And Felix's dad?" Ash asked and looked past me to the house.

"They are both fine," I ensured her.

"Will you bring your father here?" Pine asked.

"Oak never did like that coven of his," Ash said.

"They seem to be filled with hatred," Pine nodded.

"Yeah," I agreed. "They are."

"Have you gotten back-up to talk me out of following," Felix said behind me and I turned around. He stood right outside the door with his arms crossed over his chest.

I rolled my eyes at him. "They're just here to check on me."

"Oh," he said, and the defensiveness in his stance went away.

"Talk him out of what?" Pine asked and looked curiously between us.

"He thinks it makes sense for him to come with me to confront the coven and doesn't understand that it will just be him putting himself in unnecessary danger," I summarized and Felix got the tenseness in his body back before opening his mouth to retort, but Pine beat him to it.

"Of course he needs to come along! He's your mate!"