Chapter 57 The best option

Zoe

---

I had known the truth would come out sooner or later. I had worried about his reaction. But that... I hadn't thought he would react in such a way. But that was me being naïve and having had gotten too comfortable in happiness. It wasn't as if he had said anything that wasn't true.

I was a monster. A murderer. I deserved death.

I sat on the ground crying until the sun started setting. Decisions had to be made. Actions had to be taken, and I knew clearly one thing I had to do.

I deserved death.

It would solve all the problems as well. At least I hoped so.

If I was dead, the coven wouldn't have any use for my father, so he should be free. He hadn't been in the book of witches from the coven and their mates, and now I could clearly see why. He had never taken the oath to become a full member. They had probably not let him.

So leaving should be easy for him. He had likely stayed at first because he thought it would be best for me and by the time it was clear that wasn't true, I had already taken the oath. I had sworn my allegiance to the coven. Of course it didn't mean anything magically, but if I left, I would be considered an outcast among all witches and a price would be placed on my life.

But if father didn't have to worry about me, he could leave.

If I was dead, then Harry Jackson would be safe as well. Considering how easy he seemed to be able to kill the other witches in the coven, he would be a hard target if they didn't have me. Especially if he was smart enough to always wear one of the amulets, then most of the witches were completely powerless against him since they didn't think they needed to train any skill apart from magic.

But Felix... If they sent witches to kill Harry, would Felix end up in the crossfire? Would he get hurt? I had told him to put on an amulet, but he hadn't yet. Would he now?

Felix was most important. He needed to be safe and happy. Killing his father maybe would make him unhappy, but then he would be safe at least.

But could I even do it? No. I didn't think I could.

Maybe I would stage my suicide so it looked like Harry had killed me. Then no one else would dare to go after him. And he would stop attacking them if he knew I was dead also, so they wouldn't have any reason to. Yes. That was the best option.

I would die and make it look like Harry Jackson did it and also make sure he knew I was dead. That would solve everything. Father would be safe. Harry Jackson would be safe. Felix would be safe and free from me.

When I stood up, I trembled. My eyes and head hurt. The fingertip that had exposed everything was still visible. My fingertip that was among the deadliest of weapons.

"I'm a monster and a murderer and I deserve to die," I told myself. The anguish I had previously felt was gone and a detached calm settled.

That calm only lasted for a moment, though.

I teleported myself back to my hotel room to rest before I made the detailed plan for my suicide. But as soon as I landed there, I received a slap that made my cheek burn.

I held my hand towards the cheek I had been slapped on. With the amount of crying I had already done, I thought I was empty of tears. But the burning pain made new ones appear.

"I heard an interesting piece of information," the Priestess said as she glared at me with her piercing blue eyes. "That you had a boy that visited you in your room. I couldn't believe my ears. With your temperament, you would never let anyone get close to you. So naturally I got curious and had to find out more."

She walked over to the armchairs and the coffee table where the remnants of mine and Felix's breakfast still stood. She picked up the box the cupcakes had come in and seemed to study it closely before she let it fall out of her hand and to the floor.

"Your mate, it seems like. That is the only explanation I could find. Congratulations should be in order. But..."

She shook her head and looked at the mattress that was left on the floor.

"Another witch died earlier today," she said and looked up at me. "Killed by the witch hunter you should have killed by now. Naturally, I wanted to find you straight away. But do you know what happened? I couldn't. I kept scrying for you over and over, but the crystal refused to drop."

I swallowed hard. I had known from the beginning where the conversation was going. My heart and my mind thrashed around like sea water in a storm. He was safe for now, though. As long as he stayed in the house, he was safe.

"Then I remembered the name I was told. Felix Jackson. But it couldn't be, could it? You wouldn't, would you?"

She went to the window to look out of it.

"I found Harry Jackson's address and went there. I stayed outside in the trees and waited. Do you know what I saw?"

She turned back to me, and her eyes blazed with anger. It made me look at the floor.

"You! Coming out with the witch hunter's son! Is that what you've been doing? Been too busy mating with the enemy? Letting your sisters die one after another for filth? Have you completely betrayed your own kind?"

"I've not..." I started, but she moved like the wind and another slap landed on my cheek.

"You are as rotten as your skin! Can't even follow the simplest orders. But based on what I saw later, your mate saw the truth and now not even he wants you. Rejected by your mate. Deserving for a freak like you. And now your father will die."

"Please, no!" I instantly begged. "Please! It's not his fault. Punish me. I'm the one that did wrong."

"If you don't want your father to die, you know what you have to do. When Harry Jackson returns home, he will find a picture of your father, together with his address. Who dies is completely up to you. But please, get rid of that filth of a son also while you're at it."

"Priestess! I... I can't. You can't ask..."

"You should have thought of that earlier," she said, her words dripping with poison.

With that, she disappeared and the calm I had felt was gone as well. Panic had taken its place.

They all had to remain safe. None of them could die. Would the coven leave Felix and his father alone if I died now? Would they kill my father in anger?

I sank. Slowly, but steadily, like a stone to the bottom of the ocean. The situation was impossible. If I had the strength to fight them all... But I didn't.

Weak. Pathetic. A freak and a monster.

Rejected by my mate.

I wished I had never been born.