Chapter 48 Normal everyday things

Zoe

---

Dinner was calm and happy. We talked, we laughed and managed for once to keep completely clear of any topic that might make the conversation spiral down to something heavy.

When we got back to my hotel, Felix asked if he could come up with me for a moment, which I was more than happy to let him. I didn't want to part from him. I never wanted to be apart from him.

So we sat in the armchairs and talked some more. Felix told me about some of the stupid adventures he and Alex had had as children. I told him about a few of the places I'd been, editing out the why I had gone there. Finally, we grew quiet.

"I can't believe it really has been such a short time," Felix said. "It hasn't even been two weeks since we first met. But it feels like I've always known you. I felt like that from the start, really."

"I know what you mean," I said, because I did. Better than he could imagine. "I feel it too."

For a human relationship, we definitely progressed extremely fast. For two mates, we progressed very slowly, however. Most magical creatures would have finished the mating process by now. Well, we couldn't do that since we couldn't touch, but we weren't even close to that even if that wasn't a problem, because of all the things I tried so hard to not thinking about.

It looked like he wanted to say something more, but then he gently shook his head.

"After you've cooked and we've eaten tomorrow, I thought I could show you my favorite movie. How does that sound?" he said instead of whatever he had really been thinking about saying.

"That sounds great," I answered before deciding that I had to ease him into the truth about me and I had reached the point of it feeling impossible to not begin explaining. "Felix. Even though you feel like you've always known me, there are still a lot of things you don't know. And... I'm not ready to tell. I will be. Soon. I promise. I just want to sort some things out first."

"You don't have to worry so much," he said and took my hand. "Tell me when you're ready. I'll be here no matter what."

If only that was true. If the Goddess would grant me one wish, that would be my wish.

"You don't even know what it is. How can you say that you'll be here no matter what?"

"Because I can't imagine anything that you could say that would change my feelings for you." He stroked a few strands of loose hair to behind my ear. "I really have never felt like this for anyone else. And well, Alex is right with not really understanding how this all happened so fast. But I guess that when you know, you know, and I know that my life would be empty and meaningless without you in it."

I wanted to throw my arms around his neck and press my lips to his. I wanted us to get as close as two people could be. I wanted to complete the mating so the whole world would know we belonged together.

But as much as his words touched my heart, they also scared me.

"I'm not as good as you think I am," I told him.

"Zoe," he said and looked at me sternly mixed with love. "You worry so much about the safety of me and the people around you that frankly, it sometimes gets annoying. You wouldn't do that if you weren't good. Your heart is good. And no matter what you want to tell me, that will still be the truth. You might have made mistakes, we all make mistakes. But that won't make you any less good."

If only it was that easy, I thought, but did not say. It felt so nice to hear those words. To know that he thought about me as such. He would maybe change his opinion soon and I had now started preparing him for it. I wouldn't push for it more. Not tonight.