Chapter 81 Place to hide

Felix

---

Zoe had cleaned herself using magic and gotten the new dress on before I got out of the shower. As soon as I was out, she insisted I put on the amulet, which I had dropped right inside the door to the room when we got in.

"So what would we need from the place that we hide in? I mean, how do you hide from witches?" I asked as we sat down on the bed next to each other.

"We need a place that is protected from scrying," she answered while being deep in thought.

"Scrying?"

"It's like searching for someone with a crystal. It makes it possible to find someone wherever in the world they are. But you can make a place protected from scrying."

"Know of any?"

She shook her head, looking dejected. "None that would be suitable. There are several magical places that are protected. Most covens have their main building protected, for instance. But since witches live there, it isn't the best option right now. The only magical place that I can think of where no one lives is the main magical library, but that would probably be one of the first places they would look to find me. And it's also not a place to stay at. Your house is protected also, because of the amulets. But that's hardly an option."

She looked lost, but her words made me know exactly where we could go.

"Alex's place," I said.

"Huh?" She looked at me with a confused and blank expression.

"So well, Dad is a bit insane," I said awkwardly, which definitely was the case in more ways than one. "One of the insanities he has forced through is that no place that I spend too much time at can be unprotected. So there are amulets protecting Alex's apartment just like there are amulets protecting our house."

"But wouldn't that be one of the first places that your dad would look for you?"

I snorted. "As if he knows where Alex lives."

"And would Alex be fine with us coming uninvited?"

"Sure. She's always been fine with me staying for a few days whenever my dad becomes too much."

"And how much does she know?"

There was a wrinkle of worry between her eyebrows, but I knew she really had nothing to be concerned about. I raised a finger and rubbed the wrinkle lightly, smoothing it out.

"I've never told her too much about it," I said. "But she has somewhat figured out what Dad does from the little I've said. And well, she is aware of the amulets. She really doesn't like my dad, though, so you have nothing to worry about."

I did like the new ability to be able to sense Zoe's emotions. It was a bit of a strange sensation, but it made it much easier to know what a question actually meant. I didn't, however, like what seemed to be her default emotions. Her love was shaded by worry and it seemed like worry and fear were constantly around her. I wanted that to change and I would never give up until I had managed.

I could feel in that moment that she was still worried and, if anything, it intensified. She was spiraling. I took her hand in mine.

"Talk to me," I told her.

She shook her head. "It's nothing. I'm sure you're right."

"You're scared."

"I am, yes," she smiled. "I'm scared that Alex won't accept me. But I can't run and hide as soon as I get scared or worried. Then I'll just be busy hiding my whole life."

I opened my mouth to argue with her. Not that she should hide, but that her fear was so intense that we should talk about it, so it became less. But then I realized that for her, the worry and fear she felt now were probably nothing compared to what she had felt in the past. What she had been living with her whole life. I knew she had constantly been worried about touching me, but I'd never considered how she must have always deep down been terrified.

She was braver and stronger than I could possibly imagine.

"What is it?" she asked with raised eyebrows.

I pulled her into a hug. "You're incredible. That's what."

"Stop being silly."

"I'm not. If only you understood how incredible you are."

I tightened my hug momentarily before letting go. I stood up and held out my hand to her.

"Come on," I smiled at her.

She took my hand and stood up as well.

"My things," she said and then turned to a bag I hadn't even noticed earlier. It was a travelling trunk, which I connected to old movies, very fitting for her. She also took the teddy bear I had won her and hugged it to her chest.

As she came up to me again, I held out my hand to the bag.

"It's not heavy," she protested. "I can carry it."

"I'm sure you can," I smiled at her. "But if you carry that one in one hand and the bear in the other, you have no hand left to hold my hand."

She rolled her eyes, but I felt her joy at my words. She let me take the bag and together we walked out.

I could still feel her worry, though, and I wanted it gone. I knew I couldn't make it completely disappear, but I hoped that a distraction could lessen it somewhat. I racked my brain for something to say when my eyes landed on the bear she hugged to her chest. A thought instantly occurred to me.

"Hey so, when I won that bear," I started. "I really didn't think I would. Like honestly, I did so poorly that round, but I still managed. You wouldn't have had something to do with that, would you?"

A blush spread across her cheek.

"So I saw you try to get it," she started her confession. "And it looked like you really wanted to win it. And I just wanted you to be happy. So ehm... I might have helped you a little."

I couldn't help but laugh and kiss her cheek.

"How is it possible for you to keep on getting cuter and cuter?"