Chapter 105 Scarlet's mate

Zoe

---

The anger and hurt I had felt moments ago turned to sadness, regret and guilt as I watched Scarlet walk up to the man and talk to him. I watched as she laughed and flirted and saw the pure happiness radiating from her.

When the memory ended, I was left with just my own feelings and that sickening new knowledge. I had killed Scarlet's mate.

My own memory of his and his daughter's lifeless bodies came to me. The two deaths that had tormented me the most out of all I had caused. He had been Scarlet's mate.

There was no wonder she hated me. No wonder she wanted to forget our friendship. It was honestly more surprising to me she hadn't killed me. If anyone harmed, let alone killed Felix, I knew I wouldn't hesitate to harm them back.

And then her words from right before I had started my wandering through her memories came back to me.

I believe in an eye for an eye.

I couldn't blame her for that, though I would never let her hurt Felix. But I didn't blame her for wanting to take my mate away from me, just like I had taken hers.

I wanted to explain it all to her, though. Wanted her to know that the Priestess had told me he would restart the witch hunts. How I hadn't wanted to kill his daughter, had tried to refuse, but been threatened with my father's life.

It felt like such poor excuses, though, and such a selfish desire. I wanted her to forgive me, but I knew I didn't deserve it.

But I wanted her to at least know how much I regretted it.

And, I slowly realized, I wanted to know how she had found out that I had been responsible and what the Priestess had said to her.

I quickly shifted through a couple of memories. Leaving them and going to the next as soon as I saw it wasn't the one I was looking for. After around ten of them, I found the right one.

The Priestess sat in her chair behind her desk and Scarlet stood on the other side, fury all over her.

"Why!" she yelled. "Why did you have Zoe kill him?!"

"I'm sorry, Scarlet, but I'm not sure I know what you're talking about," the Priestess said in her fake sweet voice.

"My mate! I've seen enough of her victims to know. Why did you order Zoe to kill him!"

"Your mate?" the Priestess said, and she tried to sound surprised, but it didn't convince me. "I didn't know you had found him."

"Cut the crap and just tell me why! And why would she kill his daughter too?" Tears started falling from Scarlet's eyes.

"Well, you must be talking about the latest one. I'd noticed him sneaking around close to us. Taking picture and writing stuff, gathering information by the looks of it. Naturally, it made me fear for our safety." The Priestess' tone was nonchalant and matter-of-factly, an extreme contrast to the emotional storm that was Scarlet.

"And his daughter?" she asked.

"I had no idea he had one," the Priestess answered and sighed. "Seems like Zoe might have started developing a liking for killing if she won't even let children go."

The Priestess got up from the chair and walked around the desk. She placed a hand on Scarlet's shoulder.

"I'm so sorry that you lost your mate. I know it must hurt a lot. But you deserve someone stronger than a mere human anyway, and this way you can pick your own mate. Or maybe the Goddess will grant you a new one."