Chapter 22 Promise

Felix

---

As soon as I woke up, I started to work. I wanted to please my dad, but the thought of the witch he had spoken about also scared me. Such a powerful and deadly and vicious creature. I had never really been that interested in my dad's work and the thought of that he actually was a killer had always disturbed me.

But this witch, this monster, she deserved to die. And I wanted it to happen as soon as possible. If things progressed with Zoe the way I wanted, I would have to introduce her to my dad and his work. I wanted the witch gone before that so Zoe wouldn't risk getting hurt, or worse, killed.

I sat down and found Irena Silver's address. With internet and such, it went pretty easily. Once I had done that, I started doing some more research on the Forest Path coven.

They were a kind of young coven. Only about four hundred years old, which meant that their priestess most likely had never changed, or maximum once. It seemed like they had been a very small and powerless coven until about one hundred years ago, when they started gaining power quite rapidly.

Dad had said that the earliest sign of the witch had been from seventy years ago. This suggested that she had killed for the first time one hundred years ago.

That had always been something I couldn't wrap my head around. Witches' ages. I wondered how this witch would look, considering that she would be over a hundred years old most likely. According to Dad, they all looked like young, beautiful women because they put spells on themselves. How would they look without the spells? Wrinkly and gross, most likely.

While I tried to find out more to see if I could discover the witch's identity, my cellphone rang. I looked at the caller ID and sighed before answering.

"Yeah?" I said.

"Don't you just yeah me! I've been waiting for you to call for forever and finally gave up on waiting!" Alex almost screamed the words at me.

"Why? What is it?"

"Really? Really?! How did it go?" she asked and my mind was blank.

"Go with what?"

"Zoe, you idiot! How did it go?"

"Right," I said, and it came back to me. I had completely forgotten that Alex had been there yesterday. All I had thought about regarding yesterday was just Zoe.

"So you remember? Tell me then!"

"Sorry, I just forgot that you were there."

"Damn, does she make you forget even about me?"

"I'm meeting her for dinner again today," I continued, without giving any attention to Alex's comment. "And she'll stay. She explained why she lied before and, well, I wish she hadn't lied, but she was doing what she thought was right."

"What was her explanation?"

I paused.

"It doesn't matter," I said finally, after deciding that the truth wasn't my truth to tell. "You don't need to know. But it was one that made sense, okay?"

"Meaning?"

"It's complicated, and it's up to her who she wants to share it with."

"Fine," Alex sighed. "But you sure you're not being used or fooled by her or so?"

"Of course! She wouldn't do that!" I half yelled as a response. A rational part of me was well aware that Alex only meant well and that her question was justified. But it seemed like I just couldn't ever stay rational about anything regarding Zoe. All my emotions were ten times more intense when it came to her and the need to protect her, defend her, was extremely strong.