Chapter 41 Dancing

Zoe

---

I took several deep breaths as I looked around at all of the people gathered there. All the giddiness from moments ago had left me to be replaced by anxiety. It wasn't only that there were a lot of people, but they all also seemed to move around without any regard for if they bumped into someone else. The absolute worst type of place for me to be.

"We can leave," Felix said by my side and I was on my way to nod in agreement when I changed my mind.

I couldn't be the mate that Felix deserved, but I could do my best to be an as good mate as possible.

"No, let's stay. At least for a little. Here in the back, it's not that crowded."

He nodded and then pulled me closer to him. He had an arm around my waist and it felt like he tried to protect me from potential flocks of people.

The music wasn't like anything I was used to. Well, I did almost exclusively listen to the music that had been created around when I was born, so that wasn't particularly weird. This music was heavy with drums and bass, which almost seemed to travel through the earth and to my body. People also danced in a very different way from what I was used to seeing. Their bodies were so tightly pressed together and they were very still in the same spot. Not that they actually had much space to move.

After a few minutes, I relaxed and became hypnotized by the music and the movements of the people. It all seemed so disorganized. But really, it was organized chaos.

"I've never seen people like this before," I admitted to Felix.

"What do you think?"

"It's fascinating. Somewhat weird. They are dancing, but not really. Some of it I... Are people really okay with doing such things in public?"

I looked at Felix, and he had an amused smile, which made me blush hard and look down. But it really was foreign to me for people to be so... open. There were so many couples that seemed like they rather were trying to devour each other more than anything else.

"You're so adorably innocent sometimes," he told me and then came to stand in front of me. He placed his hands on my hips and pulled my body towards his.

"Felix!" I protested and put my hands on his chest to push him away, but he took them and moved them up to his shoulders before his hands landed on my hips again.

"Relax and just let yourself feel the music," he said as he started moving, mainly with his hips, and with our bodies so close, my body moved with his.

I felt myself burning scarlet, but after realizing that he wouldn't let go, I accepted the situation and closed my eyes. That way, I could at least forget about that we were surrounded by a lot of people. Instead, I just focused on Felix and how he smelled like the forest, and the music, and how it actually made me want to move.

I moved my hips with his and didn't just let him steer me. My upper body also relaxed and started moving around to the beat of the music. It was the type of dancing that I had watched others do. Just moving on the spot, mine and Felix's bodies close together. I felt the heat in my body begin to rise. That and tingling. It made me feel needy for Felix, and I wanted nothing more than to get closer to him.

I opened my eyes and met his. His eyes were oddly dark, and they looked hungry. It made me scared, but also made it impossible to look away. If anything, they intensified my desire to get closer. I bit my lip as uncertainty began to settle in me. The situation was so unusual to me, and so were my emotions.

His eyes became darker, if that was possible, and looked at my lips. I mirrored him and let my eyes wander to his as well. They looked soft and warm and welcoming.

My hands had left his shoulders and travelled to his hair. It would be so easy to pull him towards me or me towards him and have our lips meet.

I let out a shuddering breath as I forced my hands to go back to his shoulders so I wouldn't do what I desperately wanted, but also would regret above all else.

"Don't move," he murmured, and his voice was thicker and huskier than normal. His right hand let go of my hips and went to my lips. It was gloved and with his fingers, he traced my bottom lip and released it from my teeth, sending shivers down my spine.

"One day I'll be the one biting your lip," he promised, and it made a wave of tingling and anticipation flow through my body.

I would like that, I wanted to tell him but I couldn't get the words out. I just opened my mouth slightly and a soft sigh escaped. Felix finger brushed against my teeth. On an impulse, I stuck my tongue out to lick it. Because of the glove, it only tasted of leather and I wondered so what it would taste like without the fabric in the way.

Felix let out a raspy groan.

"You're driving me insane," he whispered as he leaned closer, leaned down and as I could feel his hot breath on my skin, I came to my senses. It worked like a bucket of ice and I pushed him away while taking several steps back.

Confusion came first into his eyes, then frustration, followed by sadness.

I breathed heavily, both because of the intimacy we'd just had and because of the fear of what had almost happened.

One second. Had I just reacted one second slower, we would have touched.

"I take it back," Alex said, which made both me and Felix jump. "The staring into each other's eyes was definitely easier to handle than that."