Chapter 85 Problems and solutions

Zoe

---

Sleep eluded me most of the night. There were too many things on my mind. My mother had been a nymph. My father had kept the truth from me. I could touch things finally. My father was in danger. Felix was in danger. Felix's father wanted me dead.

But of all the things on my mind, one thing stood out, and I also didn't understand myself why I kept coming back to that one name. Rheseis. Who was she?

I probably slept a little, but it felt like I didn't sleep at all. As soon as I saw the sun behind the closed curtains, I carefully got out of bed to not wake Felix up.

To my surprise, I found Alex sitting on the couch with a cup of tea on the table.

"Having problems sleeping too, huh?" she said when she saw me.

"Yeah," I answered and sat on one of the armchairs. "Are you alright? With all the new information, I mean."

Alex took a sip of the tea before answering. "Not gonna lie, I spent most of the night just going over it in my head over and over. But I think I'm done processing it all. Honestly, it's all a bit cool that magic actually exists and that I'm one of few that knows." Her eyes seemed to gleam at the thought. "How about you? From what I gathered, your world has sort of been turned upside down over the past few days."

"It's been a lot," I admitted and sighed.

"What's troubling you most? Felix's dad or your coven?"

"Neither actually," I said and earned a raised eyebrow. "I told you my mother went to a faerie for help."

"Yeah?" Alex answered.

"Well, that faerie, Rheseis. She seemed to have been good friends with my mother and Ash and Pine from what they told me. And she would have known what she did and should have been able to explain it all to me. But why have I not heard about her until yesterday? My father should also have been able to explain, but why hasn't he?"

"Maybe he didn't know?" Alex suggested, but I could hear on her tone that she didn't believe her own words.

"And then comes the fact that apparently Rheseis made contact with Ash and Pine recently. I was feeling extremely bad a couple of days ago and Ash and Pine came and talked to me. I ignored them and didn't look to see who was talking or answered them in any way. By the time I looked up, they were gone. Rheseis was the one that told them to leave. According to them, she said I wasn't ready for the truth."

Saying it out loud made the anxiety that I had worked to suppress all night come to the surface. It came in so strong that I continued to speak without being able to stop it.

"Who is she and what does she want with me? What does she know that I don't? Has she been trying to steer my life in a certain direction all along? And if so, what's her goal? When everything is sorted with Harry and my coven, will she show up with more things that need to be dealt with? What's her plan for me?"

My hands were wringing and I almost couldn't sit still. I wanted to run and hide. I wanted to search and find answers. I wanted to go back to bed and forget about everything in Felix's embrace.

Alex let out a sigh. "I don't know, Zoe. But I don't think it'll do you any good to worry about it. She saved your life as an infant, though, so doesn't seem like she means you harm."

I snorted. "It's always been one thing after another in my life. No one has ever wanted me anything good."

"Felix does."

"He's my mate. He sort of has to."

"I also only want good things for you."

I opened my mouth to argue, but slowly closed it again. A triumphant smile spread over Alex's lips.