Thirty Eight

"This way please" a prison officer guided me to where Mr. Chankimha is.

I froze for some seconds when I saw him. He has the same face as Freen. I felt a sharp pain in my heart when he looked at me. Why am I seeing Freen in him right now? I snapped out of my thoughts and smiled at him.

"Hello Mr. Chankimha" I said stretching my hand.

"You're welcome Miss...." He said taking my hand.

"Just call me Rebecca" I said smiling and he smiled back.

I am glad to have finally met Freen's dad. I believe he will give me all the answers I need. This man infront of me doesn't look evil at all. I wonder what really happened 21 years ago.

"Please feel free with me. I am a friend of Freen. Your daughter" I stated.

"Really? How is she? She promised to see me today but I haven't seen her yet" he said curiously.

Freen will be coming here? Gosh that is not good. I better be fast and get it all over with before she gets here. I don't want her to meet me here.

"She's fine. She has something to take care of" I said.

"Okay" his quick response.

"I am here for a quick survey which will help in your case. I'm sure you're aware of the reopening of your case. Your first hearing is next week, I presume" I said.

"You're correct" he said.

"Please tell me what happened that year. And why you ended up here" I said.

He looked at me confusedly. I know what he is thinking right now and I hope I get to convince him into telling me all I need to know.

"I can only speak to my lawyer" he said.

"I know but I also need this information to help you ...."

"Who are you again?" He asked.

"I am your daughter's..."

"Friend. Yes you told me that before but who really are you?" He cut me off.

I became silent. I think he already figured me out. I let out a sigh and took off my nose mask. He looked so shocked when he saw me. Why? People say I look like my mum, can he see my dad in me?

"Oh my!! You're so beautiful in person" he said and grabbed my hand.

He looks so happy right now and I wonder why. I am not a celebrity. I have never appeared on TV nor newspaper. Why does he look like he has seen me somewhere.

"With what I am seeing right now, I can't blame Freen at all."

"Sorry what?"

"You're Becky. Aren't you?"

"What?" I muttered confusedly.

"Freen can't stop talking about you and how beautiful you are. She once showed me your pic. The one you took on your first date" he said teasingly.

I felt a whole lot of goosebumps all over me. Freen told him about me? Really?? Did she tell him I am an Armstrong? My heart started bleeding. Maybe a part of what we had was real. But which part was real and which part was not? Which part did she pretend to love me just so she could use me? Gosh! I am going crazy now.

"I guess she sent you to act like this so you can get to know me and I can also get to know you." He said bringing my mind back.

"What?" I muttered again.

"Come-on, I know the tricks of young people. Now put back your mask. Let's start all over" he said smiling from ear to ear.

I was a bit reluctant to do that because I don't understand a thing that is going on right now. He pointed at the nose mask that I dropped on the table and I picked it up instantly and wore it.