𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

A man was running to survive in the night. A timeless night where he didn't know where to go, escaping the police cars who were chasing him. He was breathing heavily in the wild of streets in the city. Searching to find a place to hide away from the police, whether it was from the police or from his mind.

He found the delivery entrance door connected to a bar. He entered to see a female bartender cleaning the counter, she warned him. "We're closed."

"Just... Just give me a second."

He ran to the nearest window to keep a lookout from the police, she reminded him. "Sorry, pal. We-- we open at noon."

"Look, you don't understand." The red and blue lights appeared through the pane while the police radio was sending and receiving information about the escape criminal. He hid from the lights, and the bartender noticed. She felt terrified since she was involved in his situation.

"Okay, I-I think I understand... just fine. Look, I-I don't need this kind of hassle, so seriously get the hell out."

He pleaded with her while he was in the dark as the police car drove by the bar. Without him looking, she reached a baseball bat underneath the counter to protect herself from a strange man. "Please. Please, just give me a minute to think, that's all. Then I'm out of your hair. One minute, please." She looked at him in the eyes, seeing the soft innocency. Making a decision to put down the bat from her hand.

"What's your name?"

"I don't know."

She blinked her eyes as she asked, "What do you mean, you don't know?"

"I mean I don't remember. I don't remember anything."

A bartender scoffed at his words, and then decided to give him a special beer. He sat down on the stool as his eyes were hopeless and unsure. "Come on. You're dickin' with me. Nothing?"

"I'm telling you-- blank slate."

While he took his sip, she tried to help him. "Well, you got a wallet, I.D.?"

"I wish I did."

"Okay, what's the last thing you remember?"

He shrugged as he recited a memory, "I woke up on a park bench, cops shoving a flashlight in my face, trying to take me in."

She finished his thought, "So you ran."

"No, I... I knocked them out cold, both of them. Look, I didn't mean to. It just happened really fast, you know? I-I think i-instinct or something, I guess."

"Some instinct," she said in disbelief."

"Yeah, tell me about it. I mean, who even knows how to do something like that?"

"We'll get you to the E.R. the-- the quacks will hash it out."

He shook his head, knowing it would be a bad idea. "No."

"Try "yeah." Look, the bats have flown the Belfry. You need to see a doctor."

"No, I..." He looked down, drowning in thoughts. His eyes searched everywhere to see how his mind was telling him something by standing up from his seat. "I don't have time."

"Time for what?"

Closed his eyes as he sighed heavily, "Look, it's hard to explain. I just feel like I-I have to... be somewhere. There's s-something I gotta stop."

"Oh, like a wedding? A train?"

"No, something important, something like... life or death, like--"

She calmed him down by raising her hand toward him. She spoke to him in a soft voice, "Hey, hey, hey. Just relax. You can't poop it out. So, just-- it'll come to you." He nodded toward her with a soft grin, and then he turned around to see a bookshelf. He wondered why there would be books in a bar, but something was telling him to go near the books.