My Truth.

Whenever I say that I write poetry, everyone asks me the same question every time, "do you write for others, or for yourself?" My answer is always the same. "Both.. I write poetry for others, and for myself." I write to express myself, and to inspire others. I wanna help those who don't feel seen or heard.. the kind of people who feel like they lost all their reasons to stay.

I was 16; when the quiet intrusive thoughts weren't quiet anymore. I was doing the dishes and listening to music.. but I wasn't really listening to it. I was lost in thought when they started. One after the other, speeding past.. I didn't know what or how or why.. I stood there just thinking things like "just kill yourself.. No one's gonna miss you.. just drown yourself already. Or grab a knife and stab yourself, easy! Seriously, end your worthless existence."

In fear of my own life, I stepped away from the sink.. I didn't go near any windows or stairs.. I was sitting on the floor scared and crying. The thought of my family is what saved me. I talked to my parents, and I made a promise. I promised myself that I would never take my own life.. no matter how bad it got, I would continue to live. I would live my life out of pure spite towards pain and sorrow and most of all.. my undiagnosed depression.

After that, poetry helped me say the things I couldn't before. And I'm extremely grateful for everything and everyone in my life. Thank you.. for hearing my truth.