Episode 9: Promise

The Lion King: Dawn Of The Nations

Episode 9: Promise

The battle in the Outlands was coming to an end, hyenas kept appearing from every unexpected corner, every crack around Kiara, Rani and their far smaller group, already diminished by the abysmal advantage the hyenas had achieved, the number of lions at the battlefield could be easily counted, contrary to the vast hordes of hyenas that were battling them. Kiara was anguished, seeing dead lions everywhere she looked, knowing the battle had been lost. "Lions!" Kiara screamed loudly, roaring after the call. "Retreat!"

Rani fought with five hyenas on her own, evading their bites and jumps, biting their sides with precision, she could manage for a while, but two of the hyenas reached for her and bit her side, near her front leg, Rani moved quickly by the pain, unable to get her skin off their teeth, screaming as a plead for help, two lions arrived to aid her, jumping at the hyenas with a roar, tackling them, freeing Rani from their powerful bites, laughs of struggle were heard before the fatal bites of the lions, who didn't hesitate to attack the other three hyenas.

"Run, my queen!" One of the lions said while throwing blows at the hyenas.

Rani was getting into her paws, effortfully as she was gravely injured, blood was dripping from her wound continuously, which hurt her even more at each step she took. "Kiara!" Rani exclaimed, trying to get her attention as she was between the group of lions that was left, getting surrounded by more hostile hordes of hyenas, who didn't let them retire. "Kia..." Rani suddenly fell to the ground, breathing brokenly, groaning by the intense pain she was feeling. She closed her eyes and only felt that someone carried her before getting completely unconscious.

Kiara growled at the menacing hordes along with the remaining lions and lionesses, the lions that had helped Rani had perished under the claws of the hyenas. "Today, the lineage of Simba loses her first born, a punishment, for the ones who abandoned us!" Jazanu, captain of the Outland's main legions, said.

The laughing of the enemy increased after their captain's statement, making the lions to adopt more defensive positions, growling and locking their eyes on theirs. A powerful, strong laugh was heard from afar. The laughs stopped simultaneously. Kiara raised an eyebrow, sharing the same look of confusion with what was left of her group. The lines of hyenas separated to open the way to their queen, who walked with authority and determination while carrying Rani on her back. After a long moment of expectation, the queen of the Outlands arrived where Kiara and her group was, crouching a bit to let Rani slip down to the ground gently. Kiara gasped and approached her, seeing she was still breathing, also noticing her wound, she then gestured at a pair of male lions, who nodded with acceptance and respect, walking towards Rani and carefully getting her over their backs. Kiara nodded at them with thankfulness and then glanced back at the hyena, who was looking at her with a straight face, sitting down with her lower jaw raised a bit, demonstrating power and authority. "Jasiri." Kiara said.

Jasiri didn't say anything for a moment then sighed and looked upwards. "The sun is still young, Queen of the Pridelands." She got into her four paws and walked towards Kiara, stopping right in front of her. "And the blood of your pride already paints our land."

Kiara growled at her. "What does this means?" She gestured briefly at Rani.

"It's a chance, Kiara." Jasiri began to walk around her, not minding the menacing growls of the lions. "A chance I'm giving you and your pride to leave our land and never come back!" Her statement echoed among the rows of hyenas, laughs of warning were heard after so.

"You broke the decree, Jasiri." Kiara stated, also walking while looking into her eyes. "You knew the consequences."

Jasiri chuckled with mockery. "Consequences?" She gestured at the piles of dead lions. "The only thing you've shown is the great weakness of Mufasa's kingdom."