Episode 60: Verge

The Lion King: Dawn of the Nations

Episode 60: Verge

Emba, Faeze and Usu stood in line before Koca and three of his young lions. "Alright, Lion Guard, these are the less skilled of my warriors, considering this is the first time we're testing your combat abilities."

"Woah, they didn't even get offended." Usu murmured to Faeze. "That's impressive."

"I'm sorry, Usu, do you have any questions?" Koca raised an eyebrow, keeping a straight face.

"Yes, why don't you make a Lion Guard with these lions of yours if they are so talented and cold hearted?" Usu inquired. "I mean, someone should have already thought of that, right?"

Koca sighed. "The Lion Guard's strength is not based in numbers, Usu, but in the union and perseverance of its members, all of them entrusted with the most important of missions, to pro..."

"Protect the Circle of Life, because Mungu says so, blah blah blah, alright I have it clear now." Usu smiled at him.

Koca just looked at him with a serious face. "Good, glad you do. May we continue, then?"

"Yeah." Usu replied.

"Alright, you first." Koca looked at one of his three warriors. "Mwembaba, he's yours." The shortest and thinest of the three took a step forward.

"Okay." Usu shrugged and thundered his fingers. "So, we fight to the death or something?" He cracked his neck.

"No." Koca replied coldly. "Mashindano rules, first animal to surrender loses."

"That works too." Usu clapped and invited Mwembaba to throw the first hit with a challenging gesture. "Come on, let's see who becomes the ruler of the crocodiles!"

Koca rolled up his eyes. "Don't go easy on him, Mwembaba."

"Yeah give me your bes..!" Usu jumped right when the young warrior tried to tackle him. Usu landed gracefully behind him and let out a cocky chuckle. "No wonder why this guy called you skilless."

"I never called him that way." Koca clarified.

"Just submit him already, Mwembaba!" One of his teammates exclaimed.

Mwembaba growled and approached Usu quickly, throwing a blow at him, which Usu dodged by sliding under his belly before throwing a punch at his stomach. "Ouch!" Mwembaba yelled with pain.

"Yes!" Emba celebrated.

"Well done, Usu!" Faeze added.

"Mwembaba!" Koca scolded his young warrior. "Stay focused!"

"I'm try...!" Usu threw a kick at Mwembaba's snout, making him groan and spit a bit of blood on the ground. He growled at Usu and rushed towards him.

"Focus!" Koca exclaimed.

"Yes, Marimba, focus!" Usu mocked before laughing at the young lion, right when Mwembaba approached him, Usu jumped again, then the lion warrior turned and bit his leg while he was still on the air and threw him strongly to the ground.

"Gah!" Usu exclaimed with pain.

"Oh no..." Faeze said.

Mwembaba roared at Usu and jumped at him, pressing his paws on his chest, making him cough and groan. "Do you surrender?!"

"I..." Usu slid his paw over the ground and grabbed a bit of dirt. "...I don't!" He threw the dirt at Mwembaba's eyes, making him screech and rub them with his paw while letting Usu go.

"Hey, he's playing dirty!" One of the other warriors told Koca.

"Pun intended?" Usu jumped towards Mwembaba and held onto his neck, embracing it and squeezing it strongly. "What about you, Marimba? You surrender now?" Mwembaba coughed and dropped himself onto the ground strongly, falling over Usu, but the meerkat resisted, still choking the lean warrior. "Ngh...!" Usu bit Mwembaba's neck, forcing him to turn, letting the meerkat get off him only to embrace his neck again. "It's useless!" Usu exclaimed as he tightened his grip.