Episode 21: Nightly

The Lion King: Dawn Of The Nations

Episode 21: Nightly

The brightness of the stars softly illuminated the splashing water in the calm pool of Ungari through the skylight, the foam from the waterfalls traveled slowly over the clear water, disappearing gradually. The laughs of the three cubs, Keru, Zale and Emba kept Kovu in a peaceful feeling, he watched over them from a cliff. He saw Ari laying on one of the opposite cliffs, with a sad glare. Kovu got into his paws and started to walk over the path that led there, surrounding the pool area.

Ari saw her brother and cousins playing in the water, hitting it with their paws, wetting their faces with splashes and tiny waves they made with their front legs. A subtle smirk appeared on her face, a brief hope that faded almost instantly.

"Ari?" Kovu approached her.

"Yes, uncle?" Ari's eyes were lost on the scene.

"The boys are having fun...why don't you join them?" Kovu asked with worry and laid down next to her, looking into her eyes.

Ari kept her glare on the pool. "I just don't feel like it." She sighed and rested her head over her front legs.

"Ari." Kovu said. "You want to talk?"

Ari remained silent for a moment. "No." She said with a broken voice.

Kovu noticed the lump in her throat. "Hey, it's okay." He got his lower jaw over her head, stroking her gently. "It's fine, Ari." She started to cry, the tears escaped from her closed eyes, the sound of her broken sobs mixed with the sound of the falling water. Kovu was glancing at his sons and nephew, enjoying the scene while reassuring Ari. He began to remember some verses that Kiara used to whisper to him when his nights were hostile, dark and agitated. "The wind claims for its place in a blue night, it sings with no cease, and the crickets are its companion, under tall grass that grows aside mountains afar..."

Kion, Kiara and their army were returning home, arriving at the Pride Lands with roars and chirrups of celebration. Kion had a serious glare as well as his sister, but the feeling of victory was true among them. The legions dissipated, each cheetah, lion and lioness returned to their respective refuges.

"Lonely trees that breathe in the savanna, under stars reunited on the place beyond dreams. The brave shall sleep there, the cold won't reach them, and the lonely trees will be their shelter..."

Jasiri and Janja were walking towards the moon over the dry grass, Jasiri was carrying Jara over her back, as Janja carried Jaye. While taking calm, unsure steps to the unknown horizon, the two hyenas rested their heads against the other's, glancing at the light of the moon.

"Don't be afraid, as the night has come in peace. The moon shares its gift with you and your loved ones, and the stars give you their best shines..."

Jinobe was trembling, laying under the thin branches of a tree, having his eyes closed, trying hard to find sleep, as the thoughts were loud in his head, the crack of the branches and the whistles of the wind were just silence for him.

"Through distant rivers, the water brings a flower, bright as fire, yellow as the sun, soft as a feather. Smells like home, the sweetest of scents. The heat of fire in the smallest of caves, fur rejoices as the night promises peace..."

In a dark, rocky cave, Juzare was sleeping, with his front legs resting over a set of leaves. The female hyena was laying at his side, looking at his tired, injured face. Their head tops rubbed the rock of the low ceiling.

"Sleep, sweet child. Storms don't reach this place. Let your ears be caressed by the lost words of the wind. Sleep, sweet child...The wind claims for its place in a blue night."