Episode 46: Innocence

The Lion King: Dawn of the Nations

Episode 46: Innocence

In the dense jungle of Ferezan, over the fresh and green grass, Fuli was taking a walk. The midnight's cold made her shiver a bit, but she could handle it, she wanted some time alone, to think and reflect, while enjoying the landscape of her nation. She was talking to herself inside of her mind. "Will all be worth it?" The crickets and the sound of the river reached her ears as a soft and calm singing. "All the deaths we have suffered, just to...return to the Pride Lands." She blinked and a tear escaped her eye. "Food is abundant, as well as the fields for our cubs to run and play." Fuli glared down. "Baturu has brought so much dead and suffering, are we obliged to fight back with the same?"

"Love?" Azaad arrived all of a sudden.

Fuli gasped then glared at her mate and sighed. "You scared me."

Azaad chuckled. "Sorry." He approached her, starting to walk by her side. "Trouble to sleep?"

"Not really." Fuli replied, looking away. "I just needed some time to think. The final battle will be in a couple of days."

"What?" Azaad inquired.

"Kion sent a messenger." Fuli explained. "They will invade Baturu's land and kill him."

"Our warriors are ready for that." Azaad said. "Our captains have always kept them in shape."

"I know." Fuli replied. "It's just that, I don't know what will happen after that."

"Well, we'll all be free from that maniac, that's for sure." Azaad said.

"Yes, but, what then?" Fuli inquired. "We came back to the Pride Lands after a long exile, and now that we're back. It just...doesn't feel the same." Fuli thought for a moment. "I...I miss my friend."

"Kion?" Azaad raised an eyebrow.

Fuli nodded. "Those times when we defended our lands, with..." She smiled with nostalgia. "That innocent hope and bravery."

"Well, that was a long time ago." Azaad got closer to her. "Times change. We grow." He licked her cheek. "Am I the same cheetah I was before? Back when I met you?"

Fuli chuckled. "Of course not." She looked at him with playful eyes. "You are way more arrogant now."

"Arrogant, me?" Azaad inquired, nuzzling her neck. "You are as moody as you were back then."

"Hey, moody? Since when have I been moody?" Fuli raised an eyebrow.

"Uhm, since always?" Azaad chuckled.

"Okay...I think you're gonna sleep outside tonight." Fuli looked away jokingly.

"Oh, come on, I need your warmth. You want your mate to die by the cold?" Azaad licked her face lovingly.

Fuli pretended to not care. "That's what you get for calling me 'moody'."

"Oh, but you called me 'arrogant', remember, pretty?" Azaad got before her and nuzzled her snout.

"Well..." Fuli chuckled while blushing. "...that's the truth." She looked deeply into his eyes. "My arrogant, brave and silly Azaad."

"Brave." Azaad caressed her face with his snout. "Now that's accurate." He chuckled along with her. "My good, sweet and beautiful Fuli."

"Oh, I like that." Fuli chuckled briefly, then she got her forehead against his. "I love you."

Azaad closed his eyes, enjoying the closeness and love between him and his mate, her scent comforted his soul, her breathing was a blissful music to his ears. "I love you too, Fuli."