Episode 43: Tension

The Lion King: Dawn of the Nations

Episode 43: Tension

After a couple days, Kion and Kiara returned to the Pride Lands along with the surviving warriors. The night had come, Kion was standing at the edge of Pride Rock, looking into the stars with a sad glare, remembering his fallen mate. A tear ran down the fur of his mourning face.

This is not the end,

It's just the door,

To the greater life,

So cheer up and fight.

Beautiful creation,

That makes memories,

Friends, feasts and farewells,

But they ain't forever.

A new life awaits,

After we say goodbye,

The sky is calling,

Our heart lies there.

A new life awaits,

That evil can't reach,

Where we belong to,

So be brave and live.

This is not the end,

It's just the door,

To the greater life,

So cheer up and fight.

Kion let out a long sigh and turned, heading to the cave. He entered with silent steps as Kiara was asleep already. Kion approached his sister, looking at her with a look of concern. He thought about his nephews and his own cubs, wanting to see them as soon as possible, feeling a great shame because they would never be able to see their mother again. Kion adopted a look of conviction. "We made a huge mistake." He said with a broken voice. "Fear won't keep us away from you anymore."

Next morning, in Ungari, Kovu and the cubs were having breakfast in one of the tunnels, a gazelle that Kovu had hunted earlier. "How is it?" Kovu inquired.

"Tasty." Ari said with a chuckle.

"Not bad." Emba opined with his mouth full.

Kovu looked at Keru, who hadn't taken a single bite. "You alright, son?"

Keru had his head lowered. "Yes." He said with a broken voice.

"Keru." Kovu approached him. "What is it?"

Keru sighed. "Mommy." He replied. "I miss her."

Kovu nuzzled his head. "I miss her too. But she wants you to be safe, and this is the safest place for you."

"I don't want to be safe. I want to be with my mom." Keru sobbed.

"I miss her too, dad." Zale said. "Can we return to the Pride Lands?"

Kovu sighed. "You know we can't."

"Maybe just for a couple days, then we return here." Ari proposed. "I miss my parents as well."

"Hey." Kovu looked at them with a comforting glare. "We all left our home for a good reason, things are complicated and dangerous over there. When things get better, we will return, alright?" His ear twitched, making him adopt a hostile position. "Wait." Kovu heard several steps getting closer. "Kids, hide. Now."

"What's goi...?" Keru got interrupted.

Kovu looked at him. "Hide! Now!" The cubs obeyed him and ran away from that spot, looking for places to hide. Kovu started to walk cautiously towards the entrance as the steps were coming from there. "Who's there?!" Kovu started to growl.