Episode 58: Linked

The Lion King: Dawn of the Nations

Episode 58: Linked

As the crickets sung and the moonlight entered Pride Rock's cave shyly, Kovu, Kiara and Keru snuggled together in peace, Kiara had fallen asleep already while Kovu and his little son were still awake. "I didn't have the chance to meet them today, the new cubs." Keru said with disappointment. "Now that Zale and the others will be busy with, well, the Guard."

Kovu nuzzled his head. "I'll take you with them tomorrow, I'm sure they'll like you."

"You think so?" Keru inquired with doubt, yet with a noticeable excitement.

"Of course, Keru." Kovu licked his head, making him smirk and giggle. "You're kind and docile, playful."

Keru nuzzled his father's chest. "Thanks, daddy."

Kovu licked his head caringly. "I love you, son."

"I..." Keru yawned. "...love you too."

Kion walked pensively around Pride Rock, being closely followed by his daughter. His ears twitched as he heard her cautious steps over the grass behind him, having also detected her scent time ago. "You should be sleeping, Ari."

Ari sighed. "I can't." She walked through the tall grass and approached her father.

"Is there something troubling you?" Kion inquired.

"Yes." Ari looked into his anguished and uncertain eyes. "You."

Kion raised an eyebrow and looked at her. "Me? I'm alright, don't lose your sleep because of me, Ari."

"You seem distracted." Ari and Kion walked down a sloping path with several sets of big rocks and trees on their way. "I...I don't know how to explain but..." She sighed. "Whatever it is, I really hope you figure it out." Ari nuzzled his front leg.

Kion stood silent for a long moment. "I've been..." He looked into the stars. "...I've been thinking about your mother."

The grass caressed Ari's little and delicate paws like a soft carpet as she and her father walked with the dazzling light of the moon right above them. "Me too, I think about her every day, I want to feel her next to me again, her..." Her voice began to break. "...her nuzzles, her caresses..." Ari started to cry. "...her advice."

"Oh, come here." Kion brought her closer to him with his paw, she rested her head on his chest as he stroked her head with his lower jaw. "I miss her too, so much." He sat down on the soft grass along with his daughter, she kept laying her head against the warm fur of Kion's chest. "Her departure is a wound in my heart that will never heal, neither in yours, my sweet Ari." She continued sobbing as her soul found comfort in the deep and fatherly voice of Kion. "I see her in you, every day you become more like her, as beautiful and smart like her." Kion licked her head tenderly. "You have her eyes, the color of her fur, her sweet and determined voice."

Ari's crying began to decrease. "She was a warrior and a queen, strong and wise just as you, but...how could I ever be like her, do what she did?"

Kion kept nuzzling her. "My sweet, I assure you that you will become a great lioness, honorable and worthy of respect."

Ari sobbed quietly. "I'm a bit worried, about tomorrow." She glared down as the warmth of her father's fur calmed her senses. "What if I mess up?"

"Your aunt is a great huntress, she will teach you everything that she knows, as well as Zuri and Tiifu." Kion patted her back.

Ari remained with doubtful thoughts in her mind, but she felt reassured and calm nonetheless, as the words and care of her father warmed up her heart and soul as the sun heats up the savannah every morning. "Thanks, dad."