Episode 62: Shadows

The Lion King: Dawn of the Nations

Episode 62: Shadows

Janja woke up slowly from his peaceful dream, returning to reality gradually, looking at the cozy and rocky walls around him while blinking and yawning, nuzzling Jasiri and licking her cheek lovingly. "Good morning, sweet."

Jasiri yawned and smiled at him then licked his snout. "Morning."

"How did you sleep?" Janja laid his head against hers.

"Honestly...I don't remember the last time I had such a deep and calm rest." Jasiri looked at the cubs, who were sleeping among Jaira. "It seems we all needed this."

"Yes." Janja sighed. "It feels strange, though. After all that's happened."

Jasiri nodded. "I think he's really back."

Janja raised an eyebrow. "Who?"

"Kion. The Kion we know and love." Jasiri got onto her paws and stretched, followed by Janja

"Yeah, I guess." Janja added, then he walked towards his cubs, Jara and Jaye. "They are finally safe." He nuzzled Jara tenderly, then did the same with his son. "It's all that matters to me."

Jasiri approached him and nuzzled him, looking at her cubs as well. "The Outlands were their home, and ours. But those days are gone."

Janja looked at her with doubt. "Are you really sure?"

Jasiri nodded. "The jackals are its rulers now and our kind is greatly scattered. It's only us now, this is all we have." She looked at her mate. "And we must take care of it."

"What do you mean?" Janja inquired. "I have always taken care of you, of our cubs."

"I know, it's not that. I mean we have to embrace our new lives here, and I'm glad you convinced me to come." Jasiri nuzzled his chest.

Janja stroked her head with his lower jaw as he let out a sigh. "To be honest, I thought it would be a more...hostile welcome."

Jasiri had her gaze lost on the rocky ground. "We underestimated Kion and his family. They have changed, all of them."

Janja nodded. "Yeah. I just wish we could also take over the Outlands and just...make everything as it was before."

"I'm afraid that's impossible, my love." Jasiri kept nuzzling him. "The Pride Lands and the Outlands are united now, thanks to Kion and Dogo, and...maybe it needed to happen, everything."

"Good morning, may I come in?" Nyumbani said from the path that led to the entrance of the cave.

Jasiri and Janja turned and walked towards the entrance. "Yes, Nyumbani." Jasiri said.

"Thank you, how was your night?" Nyumbani asked with a smirk as she walked in.

"It was great." Jasiri gave her a smile of gratitude. "We couldn't be more thankful."

Nyumbani bowed at them. "It's our pleasure. The hunters just brought zebra, would you like some?"

"Oh, yes." Janja said as his stomach growled. "Uhm, please."

On the meantime, Kion and the Lion Guard, Emba, Faeze, Usu and Chikere, were gathered near Pride Rock, with an intense sun and a light wind welcoming them. "I remember my first day as clear as water." Kion told them with a nostalgic tone. "There was excitement, courage!" He chuckled as he looked into their young and expectant faces. "But also fear and doubt." Kion shook his head and looked into the clear and blue sky for a moment, then switched his gaze back to the young animals. "Don't let those two last feelings invade your heart, they only cloud our minds and take us to the worst places." He walked before them continuously, examining their looks. "You'll fight for what's right, you will defend the Circle of Life, with bravery and might." Kion said with a firm and loud tone. "Is that clear?"