Episode 26: Linkage

The Lion King: Dawn Of The Nations

Episode 26: Linkage

Kion, Rani and Kiara were on their way to the Outlands, this time with calm steps, sunrise was still way ahead. "Many times, I wondered what could've happened to him." Kiara said referring to Dogo.

Kion was walking between them. "The jackals are more discrete than I thought." They turned their steps a bit to the east. "They were there all this time."

"I hope this isn't a trap." Rani said.

"What do you think, Kion?" Kiara asked. "Personally, I think it was too soon to accept any kind of invitation."

"I don't." Kion replied. "We can't afford mistrust, not now, at least not with the jackals. If we make the Outlands a land of allies, that would increase our chances against Baturu."

Kiara was thoughtful, unable to take the hyenas out of her mind. "Kion, where could they have gone? The...hyenas."

"I don't care." Kion responded coldly but rather hesitantly. "Maybe to Koto, Dezei...both." He sighed. "Who knows?"

Rani tried to change the subject. "And, is it true what they say? That jackals offer good feasts?"

Kion chuckled. "Oh, it's very true. My father told me several stories about abundant food, good songs, fires at night."

Kiara shared the same brief, nostalgic laugh. "I remember."

"Simba, wasn't he enemy of the jackals back in the day?" Rani inquired.

"Not really. When he reigned, there was some sort of tacit agreement between lions and jackals. They came often, only the important ones at least, almost always to discuss things regarding on how to take the hyenas out of the Outlands." Kion chuckled again. "He used to tell me he was jealous of how they organized their dinners, even in that time when they lived at the most desolated areas of the Outlands, they made them the most glorious of places with their parties."

"Parties?" Rani asked with confusion.

"That's how they call them. Well, that's what my father told me." Kion answered.

Kiara chuckled with a saddened tone. "Yes...I miss him so much."

Kion looked at her. "Me too, sister. Every day, every night..."

"Remember when you told him?" Rani said. "About Emba?"

Kion looked into the sky. "Of course." He sighed blissfully. "I'd never seen him smiling so greatly. That laugh, those eyes." He smirked. "We spent all night speaking about, well, parenthood and all." He chuckled. "Advices, do's and don'ts, things like that." Kion stood silent for a moment, with a subtle yet vibrant smile on his face.

"I know, dad." Kion chuckled along with Simba, who were both laying over the grass while looking at the moonlighted horizon. "I don't think is that hard, you know, I mean..." He looked at his father. "Was I a big trouble for you?"

Simba looked him back. "It's not about trouble, Kion. When you become a father, there's no way back." He put a straight face. "Calmness never shows up again, no matter if your beloved children are right at your side, sleeping in peace. The fear never leaves." Simba said.

Kion nodded, thinking he had understood the words of his father. "Yes, it's dangerous out there."

"No, son. Not that kind of fear." Simba sighed. "Since you two were born, and until this very day, I live with fear." He explained with his gaze on the ground. "Who will they become? The question I ask myself everyday." His voice began to break. "Evil comes in many forms, Kion. And I'm grateful that none of them have reached you or your sister..." Simba looked into the eyes of his son. "...yet."