Werewolf Drabble 5 - Val 1

Val's time with his family had a deadline. Four years prior, he'd stormed out, hopped up on independence and determined to make it on his own. At 21, no one was too surprised. Wolves didn't last long together if they didn't learn to submit to other's rules. His dad loved him. His dad also didn't respect his ideas. One of the last things Tor yelled at him was that he wouldn't last alone.

Tor wasn't wrong. 

He survived a year and a bit before a rouge alpha caught his scent and wanted him - Sage. A brute of an alpha with no pack but the ambition of one. Brute physically, not mentally. Sage was intelligent and determined. He set his sights on Val and wouldn't hesitate to capture him.

 Val fought, dodged, and hid but couldn't get Sage off his tail. 

Sage held him in a cage for months until Val cowed enough to behave. Sage wormed into the vacant spot where running from his father had left a weeping hole of loneliness. The months after being let out of the cage turned brutal as Sage trained Val to his specifications. 

Four years ago, he'd run away from home. 

Two years ago, he'd been claimed by an alpha into his pack. 

Six months ago, Sage got orders from the King to deal with some wolves turned cannibals. He left Val at an institute meant to train wolves to their full potential. Val escaped the first night and ran straight back home. 

He dived into his father's arms and collapsed as if he was nine again. Tor held him for a long time. 

Tor didn't try to overwrite the bite on the back of Val's neck. 

Hopefully, that would help. 

Roars and screams surrounded them. Tor took the rival alpha out, ripping his head from his body. It's too late to stop the dangerous injuries. Everything blurred, and Val struggled to stay present. A wolf went for a killing blow on Greyson. Val couldn't get there in time. Tor was too busy beating the alpha into a pulp. Greyson roared, trying to knock the man off beat. 

Sage dropped from the ceiling and intercepted the wolf. Val's sight blurred again as he watched Sage take out the rival. 

One blink - a spray of blood whipped across the floor. A second blink, the rival wolf collapsed. A third blink - the man scooped up Greyson and slung him over his shoulder. Then Sage was in front of him, a hot hand curling around his chin to pull his face up. 

Sage's eyes were less angry than Val expected.

Greyson snapped something. Sage laughed, and a teenager landed in his lap. Greyson wriggled close, lanky limbs enclosing around him. Sage patted his head, smearing a touch of blood over his forehead and turned to deal with the last few bodies. Val clutched to his younger brother and watched Sage dispatch them with the cold precision from being an enforcer.

As they dropped, the sounds died down. Most dead. Some fled into the night. They'd have to hunt them down later. 

Tor collapsed. Sage checked his pulse. Val didn't move, rooted to the ground as too much conflicting information ran over him. 

A second teenager appeared next to them, skidding onto the ground next to them on his knees. 

Greyson knew him?

Val needed to rise out of the haze to understand. What was happening? Tor was down, Sage was doing first aid, and his brother had found a new pup for the pack. Sage finished whatever he was doing and moved back to them, cuffing the stranger around the head with a rumble of annoyance. Did Sage know the kid aswell?

Greyson gripped tighter, and the other teenage rumbled unhappily, too. 

Sage crotched down in front of him and rubbed his cheek with a soft growl, staying calm but unhappy. He said something, but it didn't pierce through the fog. Val's thighs throbbed from punishment already. Followed by a far sharper pain from where he'd twisted his ankle.