#2 Wish

2. Wish

Warning: Preslash, MxM,

(Please note, I tried to write the MC as having a Sikh background though admittedly estranged and I did some research but if I have anything wrong, let me know so I can adjust it. Thank you for understanding.)

---

Whoever made the bus schedule had a grudge against him, Gale was sure of it. He'd been able to run for the bus originally. Back when he'd first gotten the job after university, there was a chance he could get home. Now and basically since Gale's second year of university, there was no chance of him getting home without taking an hour off work.

As a result, once he was allowed to clock out, Gale went to a coffee shop every day to wait the two or so hours for the bus to arrive again. He sat by himself in the corner, drank the same order and worked on his laptop. He liked the coffee shop. It was small, cosy and the people there were nice, even if they didn't really know him despite going every day practically. Like any good independent chain, it was run by hipster-esque people. Though these ones were more goth/emo in style than a hipster on most days.

They also had plenty of friends who came by and hang out at the shop. They were entertaining to listen too. Gale enjoyed observing them. He knew many of their names. Especially the servers. Weirdly, it made it hurt made when they asked for his name when he put an order in.

They never remembered him, but not many people did. Gale exhaled, tapping idly on his computer as he watched Tory and Lesley bicker about what to do for the Winter Holidays. They didn't want just do Christmas or any particular religious holiday. Tory didn't think they should do anything at all while Lesley wanted to decorate the coffee shop in lights and do themed winter drinks. The others weren't helping at all and it was only serving to make Gale felt more lonely than ever

There was a reason he lived out in the countryside. It was cheaper than living in the city. He couldn't afford to live closer while also paying off his student debt and for his father's care home bill. Between his father being in the care home and his mother living back with her parents in Wolverhampton, he was looking at spending his week of holiday alone.

His mother's family didn't approve of him so going to see her was not really an option. He was half white, gay and didn't follow the rituals of Sikhism. It was never fun going to see his grandparents. His grandmother would wail in mourning that her grandchild did not follow the old ways and the word of the Akal Takht. Some of his aunts and uncles were more liberal and thought that the 'preachers in Akal Takht are tosser who was too blind by cultural ignorance to see the truth of what what the text says.' His grandfather simply refused to talk or look at him.

Even his more accepting aunts and uncles would guilt him into going to pray at the Gurdwara. They would be kind and offer to help him put on a turban, his aunts would offer to go through the prayer again so he wouldn't be embarrassed. He had not forgotten either.

Like how he hadn't forgotten Guru Nanak Gurpurab was soon. His family would go to the Gurdwara early to help cook for the communal meal. Thousands of people attended and they would be making chapatis by the boatload, sweets too. His Grandfather and uncles would spend the two days prior to the festival day reading the holy text from beginning to end. That would start soon.