Notebook Drabble 42

"All I'm saying is this is the start of some horror movie," Matt said, edging around the apartment as if he expected things to come to life. What exactly, Joey wasn't sure.

"It's not that bad," Joey waved off as he continued to unpack the necessary things he'd need for the trial period. The apartment was a nice one, if not outdated in style. The carpet and wallpaper could do with modernising, but it was a good size and something with renting that meant everything. Plus, it wasn't like he had any other options right now. 

"Dude."

"It isn't," Joey defended. "It's an old building and a little dated, but at this time of year, I'm not going to find anything else. It's not a basement flat, at least." Not that he could switch; the listing was already off the market. 

"You could stay with me."

"You know that isn't an option," Joey didn't look at Matt as he moved some more things into place.  Matt was his best friend, and it hurt that he couldn't help. 

"Bro, how is it Ashley cheated, and you're the one being punished?" Matt scowled, an ugly expression on his face. Matt didn't like it, but it didn't change the fact that he was going out with Ashley's little sister. Melissa was firmly on Ashley's side. That was a massive red flag to Joey, but Matt couldn't see around that.  Regardless, supporting Joey over Ashley would cause far more drama than Matt wanted to deal with. 

"Bad luck. I fell in love with a golden child."

It hurt. Ashley cheated and humiliated him in front of their friends and family. Yet his parents kept asking about her and if he could make it work. No. Joey had standards. Ashely could rot. 

Sadly, given how many went to her side, she was unlikely to suffer much. Instead, she'd marry the guy she'd "fallen" for, have his babies and live a happy life until the guy cheated on her. Things always came back around. 

Joey hoped to be successful and in a solid relationship when that happened, out of reach of her acrylic nails and fake blonde hair. People blamed him for her inability to pay the bills after she kicked him out. They blamed him for her getting evicted once the landlord learned that the named tenant no longer lived there. It's not his fault that she never signed the papers. She didn't want to be the one responsible for the bills. 

He didn't move back in despite the landlord's offer. It would only put petrol on an open flame. Instead, he found a new place. This one had been the only real opinion in the limited time that he had to find somewhere else. The dodgy bit was the wording in the lease. 

"She shits the same as the rest of us," Mark said, picking the listing off the table to read it out loud as if that would change the unusual conditions to staying. "All prospective tenants must live in the apartment for one week before signing the agreement papers. Joey, this is whack, bro."

"It's a strange clause, but it means that I'm not locked into the property until I've tried it a bit. I wish more leases allowed for that kind of flexibility," Joey said, clinging to that positive. 

"Horror film! Bro, you're going to come home and find all your stuff missing with a doll hanging from the light in the kitchen," Mark said, pointing up at the ominously single light bulb. 

"I need to get some lampshades before Mum comes to see the place," Joey thought out loud. She cared about that kind of thing, and her lecture about keeping his living place civilised ran through his head. His father wouldn't care as long as he had the sports channels set up and a decent sofa. Ashley got the last one, not that he wanted it, knowing what she got up to on it. Joey planned to get a better one. He'd got the TV, threatening to charge her with theft if she tried. No doubt she'd turn that against him too, but he liked his TV, and he had the receipts to prove it was his.