Werewolf Drabbles 6

Written pre2012, rewritten 2024

Whoever thought being a leader came naturally to Alpha types needed their heads examined for injuries. A leader showed no hesitation or doubt, was always right, and saw through the lies of his underlings. Brace had failed at all these traits, and worse, with Kyall, he'd failed at all of them. He'd exiled an innocent pack member based on lies and hearsay. 

The fact that Kyall had not joined a new park baffled Bruce as much as it gave him hope that their lost member would return. Kyall ran with other packs at full moons, but never for longer than a visiting wolf would stay in his welcome. Mind, he'd also not made contact when Bruce sent the message that he could return and be forgiven of his sins. 

Bruce should have worded the letter better. Kyall had no sins; he had been set up to fail. It was no wonder Kyall didn't want to return after reading his letter or any of Bruce's follow-up letters. He had no reason to believe Bruce's word. That was the kind of thing a visit and person could show. His expression and scent would show the truth. He wanted Kyall home.

Alpha Zach liked him well enough to allow him on the man's turf long enough to see his stray. It was not long enough to stay and work on a long game, but Zack would grit his teeth for a reunion. He wanted Kyall to go home and stop being one of his responsibilities, too. Bruce would send the man something nice as a thank you.

He needed to approach Kyall without scaring him off or making a scene. Neutral location or not, former alphas didn't usually react well to seeing their wayward subordinates. Bruce would control himself. This chance was too important not to mess up.

Kyall's scent hit first as he entered the building. The smell of another wolf sent his instincts in overdrive to find them. No other wolves worked for the same company as Kyall. Bruce licked the back of his teeth and squared his shoulders. He was in control. He walked through the space with confidence and swagger; it was the best way to avoid awkward questions about whether he was allowed in the space. 

Technically, he had a meeting planned with a human friend who worked in the building in case someone did question him, but they knew not to expect Kyall if things went well. It also meant that if Kyall acted badly and tried to have him thrown off the premises, Bruce had a place to fall back.  Wolves who spent too much time with humans tended to use human tactics. It was a sign that they'd forgotten their proper place on the hierarchy. Lone wolves were at the bottom of the rung. 

Bruce's mouth turned dry as he found his packmate. The room was an open-space office with glass walls separating meeting rooms from the buzz of the daily office. A table of official-looking people wearing suits worth more than most people made in a year watched Kyall present something. Kyall sported a healthy, trim figure, a healthy mess of auburn hair and his skin glowed. He wasn't gaunt or grey or had bags under his eyes. He was thriving. Bruce didn't like that. 

Well, that was a fucked up emotion to unpack. 

It is good that Kyall was well, but it also showed that Kyle didn't need the pack. Of course, Kyall needed the pack. Every werewolf needed a pack, didn't they?

Maybe this was a bad idea. 

Kyall suited being a lone wolf; he didn't need or want the pack that had thrown him. People eyed Kyall, hungry for his power. He wore his own suit worth money, and there was a flash of light from the expensive watch on his wrist. Young, powerful and handsome was a dangerous combination, and a low growl rumbled at the back of Bruce's throat. It was an ugly and possessive sound. Kyall belonged to him. 

Except he chased Kyall away. 

The lone wolf reacted to the sound, and his head snapped over to Bruce, forcing Kyall to pause his presentation. He lost the healthy glow, and Bruce's stomach sank. As reactions go, looking like a ghost crossed over his path was a pretty bad one.