Life Debts 2

The kiss was hard and rough and desperate. If that wasn't a sign something terrible was happening Clive wasn't sure what. He kissed Ollie back and pulled him closer. Either of them were tall, but Lee had more muscles than Ollie though, so he was able to pull the slender man close and into him. 

"Ollie?" Clive murmured, staying close, finding himself glazing into light yellow eyes. "You're not wearing your contacts?"

"You have enough credits to leave the army, correct?"

"Yes?" Clive frowned, pulling back to look Ollie in the face. His love was struggling to look him in the eyes. That was a loaded question if ever he had heard one. Clive was a 'natural' born clone, meaning he was allowed to leave the clone army one he had earned enough credits. Which he had, a few months prior but with Ollie still in the military, Clive had no plans on cashing them in yet. Ollie as an outsider could leave at any time during 'peace'. Now was technically peace. "What's going on?"

"Just, can you check to see if you can still use them?" Ollie pleaded, hands dipping into Clive's back pockets. 

"Will you explain why?" Clive checked, pulling them over to their computer console. He pressed a few buttons and started the connection to the network. The waiting screen loaded and Ollie let go of him, to stand behind him. Hiding from the camera, Clive noted. 

"Of course," Ollie promised, trying not to feel silly that he was hiding from the eyes of the Great A.I. He had been a loyal soldier. Problem was he was a lousy pawn. Clive was an excellent pawn; he was designed for it. The Great A.I knew they were together and bad apples ruin the rest. With the threat already acknowledged and in the system, it might have started cutting the escape routes already. 

[CREDITS NO LONGER VALID]

"It appears I can not," Clive noted, rocking Ollie. Ollie swallowed hard and buried his face into Clive's shoulder. "May I ask why?"  

The screen shifted to a bald man with no eyebrows or pigmentation. Pink eyes looked blankly at him as eyes moved over the file. "Your partner should be aware of the reason. Congratulations, you are restricted from leaving the army as you will now serve a greater purpose."

"To a  greater purpose," Clive nodded, hand reaching up to hold Ollie's. He'd accept whatever was happening, of course, he would. His training didn't stop the wave of disappointment. 

"Captain Williams this attempt to interfere with the peace talks of Rygan had been noted," the operator noted, typing at something on the screen. "We understand your issues with what is about to happen, but that is no excuse to elope. We will arrange a tasteful wedding ceremony before Lee's reassignment for the two of you. Open contract, of course. Given the circumstances."

"I obeyed orders, so why am I being punished?" Ollie demanded, before turning away and storming out of the room. He already knew the answer, as did the Great A.I. He was a tool to the entity, not a person. This was not punishment. It was merely Bradshaw was more important. 

Clive watched him go, cheek burning at the mention the Great A.I planning a wedding for him before turning back to the operator. "May I know more about my role in the machine?" Being shackled was always a risk. The Great A.I had no problems rearranging things to how it thought the most optimal solution for all parties. What was going on that it had decided to marry Clive and Ollie?