Powerless

"You took them. My powers, you stole them from me,"

"I did,"

"And now, what?" Raidon looked up at the man he had thought to be his friend. Someone he had trusted despite his outlook on life. They were from different worlds but magic had connected them with an iron chain. Now, his magic was simply gone. There was nothing in its space, not even a void. It was like the magic had never been there to begin with.

"You live a normal life," Edric offered a shaky smile. He wasn't as unaffected by his actions as he was letting on. "You finish school, go to college and face the world."

Raidon narrowed his eyes and twisted, intending on leaping at the man. Motherfucker. How dare he? How fucking dare he steal the one thing from Raidon that made his life worth anything at all. Edric's fingers clicked and the world stopped. Raidon frozen in place. Tears still on his face and mouth open, teeth bared in a snarl. An alien feeling came over Raidon. It was a feeling of helplessness. He couldn't stop his. He could do nothing. He was helpless at the hands of this spoil, stuck-up wanker.

"Oh Rai," Edric shook his head disapprovingly, shifting forward to cup Radion's cheeks. "I'm sorry this had to happen this way. But now, it's time you went home."

Then he was home. On his creaky single bed with a single sheet and the stained duvet on it. The scent of cigarettes and weed hit him like a train. The tears fell to the dirty carpet, scratchy under his knuckles and he sobbed. Everything he had been through, everything he had achieved was gone. Left in its place was a pile of practice exam papers for tests he was bound to fail, a house that was freezing cold and falling apart with an empty fridge and no money to pay rent to his stepfather.

Why? Why had Edric taken everything from him? Was it because he was poor? Because he was an illegitimate bastard who had no right to have magic in the first place? Or was there an actual reason?

"Boy, quit your snivelling." Raidon looked up at his step-father and wiped his eyes dry. The man looked at him with a strange expression. Not the normal look of displeasure at seeing him nor the look of anger that built after the man had a brew too many. "Broke up with your boyfriend? Finally decided he'd had enough of slumming it?"

"Something like that,"

There was a weird moment where it was clear the man had no idea how to react to that. He had never truely acknowledged he was gay to the man before despite the constant accusations. Edric hadn't been his boyfriend. Nor had any of the others. Didn't stop his heart feeling torn to pieces at the betrayal. None of them would ever speak to him again. He was a civi now. A civilian with no magic of his own. Outside of your own family, you couldn't.

"Come on," the man grunted, reaching down and hauling Raidon to his feet. Raidon was dressed in some slacks. They weren't his. A parting gift from Edric? "I'm not a mug. I can see when someone's been merked. A brew, a joint and an evening with the lads will fix you up, boy. Quit the moist behavior."

Despite the scolding, his step father gave him half a hug and slapping his back before staggering away, yelling downstairs for someone to crack another beer open. The hug had been fast, but Raidon smiled slightly. He grabbed his jacket and went downstairs. Time to drink and forget, he had nothing else left anymore.

==

It was a couple of years before magic found its way back into Raidon's life. Learning to live without it had been hard at first. Just doing simple things again was so much harder now. His brothers had been suspicious of the fact he was hanging out with them again instead of his snobby friends. His stepfather had found him a part-time job to help pay his portion of the rent. Slowly, he settled back into being what he had always been destined to be. A man from the streets.