Life and Death

A/N: Trigger warning for one of the Character has cancer. 

"They won't let you get away with this,"

"I don't care any more," Jesse snapped, running a hand over his bald head. "I can't keep letting my friends die knowing I could prevent it!"

"At the cost of your own life? You are a truly a fool if you think you will live longer than tonight if you stop this, Jessie," Gordon argued back, the beta werewolf clearly weighing up whether he could stop Jesse without backup. If the powers that be even got a hint that Jesse was prepared to start interfering, Jesse would be a memory by dawn.

The laugh that bubbled but from Jesse's stomach was cold and devoid of any joy. "Even if I wasn't already on a timer in regards to my life, what life do I have when every person I meet I have to keep away or risk them being brought to this side?" Jesse met the betas eyes square on. His eyes haunted and showed just how close to breaking point he was. This outburst was a flare from a flame about to collapse, one last hope burning bright. "Just one," He pleaded, his fists curling tight.

"I can't help you," the beta whispered, wishing for once that he could. "If they found out that one of the Pack helped in this..." There would be war among the territories. Already things were on a delicate balance, but the pack could not deal in another creature's region.

"I would rather die fighting than let this take me or willingly let another innocent die. The look on Jesse's face was determined. "Goodbye," Jesse smiled sadly at him.

Something stabbed into him. A needle. Realisation dawned on Gordon alongside a much more depression one. His human friend didn't trust him. The world went black, but soft hands caught him before he hit the floor. Lips kissed his forehead.

"I am so sorry,"

----x----

Jesse walked into the club easily enough. The man at the door barely looked twice at him, more interested in keeping out a much of underage brats trying to sneak in. Even as he slid over the floor to his friends, unfriendly eyes were spotting him. Watching him with keen interest, tonight was the night he was supposed to stay away after all. He ignored the looks and the hands trying to grab him to pull him away. His friend yelling his name happily as he approached helped scare off the more determined. Too many eyes were watching, and they didn't want to panic the sheep.

"Jessie! You came," grinned Kristin, clasping his shoulder and keeping him a tight hug.

"Of course. Wouldn't miss it for the world," Jesse returned the grip, ordering a drink. The barmaid served him fast, a note warning him to get out of there quickly was slipped into his front pocket with an almost panicked look on the girl's face. He ignored it. Slamming the drink down with his friends and playing the games. Not need to rush this. They had time until everything was going to go down and leaving now was not wise.

Kristin ordered a round of shots, and the night continued. Jesse joking and messing about with the other men like nothing was about to occur. Enjoying letting himself be human for a while. Shots, music and dirty talk. What more could a 21-year-old want? It wasn't just Kristin's birthday party either, he was leaving the next day for a new job. Which is why he had been placed as a mark. He could disappear without a trace.